Babette Taute Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
Babette Taute Scholarship South Africa
ABOUT THE TRUST – BABETTE TAUTE
The Babette Taute Honours Scholarship was formed after Babette Taute passed away in 1992. The scholarship is administered by Sanlam and was made possible by the late Babette Taute who left the majority of her estate to form a bursary trust, for students pursuing English studies in South Africa.
ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Applications are open for the Babette Taute Honours Scholarship, for the 2023 academic year.. Students who are pursuing Honours studies, in any branch of English language, literature and applied language studies, are welcome to apply for funding.
Every year, scholarships are awarded for postgraduate English studies in South Africa. Candidates will be selected based on academic merit, as well as other forms of merit: leadership in cultural or social areas, quality of publications and writing, and excellence as a translator or English teacher.
MORE ABOUT THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE | SELECTION
The scholarship will provide up to R75 000 worth of funding, towards a 1 year Honours programme.
Recipients may hold another bursary, scholarship, fellowship or funding awards, on condition that the total value of awards is not more than R120 000.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application, at the start of December 2021.
Successful candidates will be required to submit their 2022 mid-year and final results, as well as a short cover letter detailing their progress and plans.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or have permanent residence status in South Africa
- You must be studying full time towards an Honours degree, in a branch of English language, literature and applied language studies
- You must be studying at a recognised and accredited university in South Africa
- You must have a strong academic record
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the Babette Taute Scholarship Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- South African ID or proof of permanent residence in South Africa (certified copy)
- Curriculum Vitae, including academic and other achievements and activities over the last 2 to 3 years (maximum 2 pages)
- A piece of your writing, in any genre, that showcases your talents (maximum 500 words)
- Details of any other bursary, scholarship or fellowship applied for, for the 2023 academic year. (name of funding source and amount)
- Full university academic record/ transcripts to date (on university letterhead or certified copy)
- Proof that you should be awarded the scholarship (this can include proof of merit awards/ proof of your excellence as a teacher, translator, interpreter, scriptwriter or another language practitioner)
- Contact details of 2 academic referees, who can vouch for you as an English student (referees must complete page 5 of the application form and email it to the specified email address)
- Final results (to be submitted by 30 November 2022 at the latest, to Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za, with the words “Babette Taute 2022 Final Results: Surname” in the email subject line)
- Final results for English, endorsed by the Head of Department or Course Convenor or Head of Department (notify the application email below if these results are not available)
Applications must be submitted via email to these 2 email addresses: Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za and Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za
(Insert the words “Babette Taute 2022 Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE BABETTE TAUTE SCHOLARSHIP
30 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Sanlam directly:
Contact people: Ms Naaznien Parker / Helene Schneid
Email: Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za / Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za
COMPUTER SCIENCE | IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION | BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES