University of Free State (UFS) Doctoral Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
University of Free State (UFS) Doctoral Scholarship South Africa
ABOUT THE COMPANY – UFS
The University of the Free State (UFS) is a progressive, multi-campus public university, located in Bloemfontein and first established in 1904. UFS excels in teaching, research and learning and is highly focused on making a positive social impact.
The university’s vision is to contribute to the development and social justice in South Africa. They aim to do this by producing globally competitive graduates and knowledge. UFS achieves its vision through its many goals- to improve its student’s overall success and well-being, transform the curriculum, support social development and justice by the means of scholarship programmes, increase the university’s contribution to knowledge, to achieve financial sustainability, and more.
ABOUT THE UFS DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The SARChI Chair in Higher Education and Human Development Research Programme (HEHD) at the University of the Free State (UFS), is inviting students to apply for a scholarship award, for the 2023 academic year..
The full-time Doctoral scholarship in Higher Education and Human Development is applicable for studies at the University of the Free State. Scholars will conduct doctoral research on human development and higher education.
The ideal Doctoral Research candidate must have preferably partaken in research such as development studies, education and development, and higher education studies or related disciplines such as sociology, philosophy, and politics for their Honours and Masters’s degree.
MORE ABOUT THE UFS DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE | RENEWAL
The value of the fellowship is R180 000 per year, which will be paid as a monthly stipend, (including R30 000 for research expenses). Registration fees will be deducted each year.
Funding will be awarded for a maximum of 3 years, on the condition that scholars maintain satisfactory performance for doctoral studies.
Zabusaries.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the University of Free State (UFS) Doctoral Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be required to participate in and contribute to relevant HEHD and Centre for Development Support research activities.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UFS DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or an international student
- You must intend on pursuing full-time research at the University of the Free State, in 2022
- You must have graduated with a Masters’s degree in a relevant discipline
- You must have completed your Masters’s degree within the last 5 years
- You must have achieved a minimum overall aggregate of 70% in your Masters’s degree
- You must NOT be employed on a full-time basis (and not take up full-time employment for the full duration of the fellowship)
- You must be willing to reside as a full-time student at UFS for the duration of the programme (and relocate if you are not located near UFS)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UFS DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
Candidates who meet all of the eligibility criteria may apply by submitting clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document, if a South African citizen (certified copy)
- Passport, if a foreign national (certified copy)
- Transcripts of academic records (certified copy)
- Master’s degree certificate and dissertation (certified copy)
- SAQA verification if your degree was not obtained in South Africa
- Research proposal, including aim, research questions, a preliminary literature review, methodology (6 to 10 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae, including any research publications, conference papers presented and grants received
- A motivational letter stating your interest in pursuing a PhD
- Reference letter from at least one academic referee who taught or supervised you (read our article about Academic Reference Letter/ Testimonial for Bursary Applications here
Note: there is no application form to be completed for this scholarship application – students need only submit the list of above documents to apply.
Applications must be submitted via email to Dr Mikateko Mathebula at: MathebulaM@ufs.ac.za
(Insert the words “HEHD Doctoral Fellowship full-time” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UFS DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
30 September 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the University of Free State directly:
Contact person: Dr Mikateko Mathebula (Senior Researcher at the SARCHI Chair’s Higher Education and Human Development Research Programme)
COMPUTER SCIENCE | IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION | BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES
UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH AFRICA | UNIVERSITY-SPECIFIC BURSARIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST BURSARY APPLICATION FORMS
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.
What do I need to apply for the NSFAS bursary?
Click Here for All Bursaries and Nsfas Details
How To Reset Your NSFAS Username?
What Does The NSFAS Bursary Cover?
Do You Receive An Email Or SMS If You Have Been Funded By NSFAS?
How To Appeal A NSFAS Rejection?
What You Will Need To Receive Your NSFAS Allowances Via NSFAS Wallet?
NSFAS CLOSING SOON: How to Apply Online
NSFAS Online Bursary Applications 2023 – 2024
How Do You Check If NSFAS Has Funded You?
NSFAS Approves 300 000 Funding Applications
NSFAS Bursaries – Your Questions Answered