TuksSport UP Sports Performance Bursary South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE INSTITUTION – UP & TUKSSPORT
The University of Pretoria is one of South Africa’s largest and most respected institutions, celebrating both academic and sporting excellence. The University’s sport’s department is known as TuksSport and is a global leader in many sporting fields.
TuksSport ensures that all athletes and volunteers are given value and are part of sustainable sport programmes that aim to further develop and enhance the South African community. TuksSport ensures that a high-performance support programme is established for all athletes and participants; providing services such as medical, scientific, fitness, sport-testing, tactical and technical expertise, and sports psychology and injury support.
ABOUT THE UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
TuksSport, the sports department of the University of Pretoria, is offering a Sports Performance Bursary programme for the 2022 academic year. This sports programme consists of many components which the candidate will need to further enhance their sporting talent, whilst simultaneously obtaining a tertiary qualification.
TuksSport passionate and professional coaches will act as a guide to the candidate during the programme, ensuring that they reach their fullest potential. TuksSport aims to make the candidate part of the TuksSport, at one of the top Academy and Sporting Universities in the country, that is both locally and internationally recognised.
The bursary programme covers any of the following sporting disciplines:
- Water Hockey
MORE ABOUT THE UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY PROGRAMME – RENEWABILITY
The Sports Performance bursary will only be awarded for 1 sport code – students cannot be in receipt of funding for more than 1 sport code.
Bursaries are awarded for 1 academic year at a time, and students are required to re-apply for funding each year. Bursaries will be renewed each year based on academic performance, sporting performance, as well as training attendance and commitment to the programme.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have completed Matric or be currently in Matric
- You must intend on studying full time at the University of Pretoria
- You must be entering your 1st year of study in 2022
- You must excel in one of the aforementioned forms of sport
Bursary recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Prioritising of funds per the TuksSport club prioritization
- Shortage of athletes in the Club for events or playing positions
- Position on sport-specific SA Junior and Senior rankings
- Position on international rankings
- Ability to qualify for international competitions
- Potential performances at USSA (South African Student Championships taking place each year) and participation at the Varsity Sports SA and Varsity Cup competitions in a specific sporting code
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY
Students must follow these steps to apply for the bursary
1) First apply to study at the University of Pretoria at www.up.ac.za/apply
Applications must be submitted before these deadlines:
- 30 September 2021 for these faculties: Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Theology and Religion
- 31 July 2021: Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Veterinary Science
2) Apply for the bursary here: TuksSport Sports Performance Support Bursary Application (by clicking on your sport of choice)
3) After filling in the online bursary application in step 2 above, you will be sent the application form to your email address.
4) Submit your completed application form, along with clear copies of the following supporting documentation:
- ID document or birth certificate (certified copy)
- Grade 11 final results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Action shot full-length photograph of yourself (A5 size, in jpeg format)
Applications must be submitted via email to Mrs Riekie Labuschagne (TuksSport Bursary Administration): Riekie.firstname.lastname@example.org
UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY APPLICATION NOTES
1) The application form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian if the applicant is under 18 years old.
2) All candidates will receive confirmation that their application has been received. If you do not receive any confirmation within 3 weeks after you have applied, please contact your specific TuksSport club.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UP TUKSSPORT BURSARY
30 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the TuksSport specific code manager directly.