Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarship South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SOL PLAATJE EDUCATIONAL PROJECT
Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje was a South African journalist, translator, writer, intellectual, linguist and politician. He was also a founding member and first General Secretary of the South African Native National Congress (SANNC), which is now the African National Congress (ANC). There have been many institutions named in his honour, including the Sol Plaatje Local Municipality, the Sol Plaatje University, the Sol Plaatje Museum and Library and the Sol Plaatje Educational Trust.
ABOUT THE CANON COLLINS SOL PLAATJE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Canon Collins Trust, partnered with the Sol Plaatje Educational Project, is inviting students to apply for scholarship funding for the 2022 academic year.
- Education: Policy and Practice
- Humanities (including Arts, Anthropology, History and Literature)
- Justice (including Economics, Environment, Law and Politics)
Top priority will be given to Climate Justice related studies – in the science or applied science field (the application must be able to demonstrate relevance to climate justice-related matters).
MORE ABOUT THE CANON COLLINS SOL PLAATJE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE, SERVICE CONTRACT & SELECTION
The value of the scholarship will be in the range of R20 000 to R100 000 – depending on the student financial circumstances. Masters students will receive a maximum of 2 years of funding, while PhD students will receive a maximum of 3 years of funding. Funding will be renewed based on satisfactory academic performance.
Scholarship recipients will be required to take part in annual conferences and various smaller events throughout the year.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email and invited to attend an interview in October or November 2021 and the final selection will take place and be communicated by December 2021. If you do not receive any feedback, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CANON COLLINS SOL PLAATJE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African, Namibian or Zimbabwean citizen or refugee
- You must reside in South Africa, Namibia or Zimbabwe
- You must have completed Matric (or equivalent)
- You must have completed an undergraduate first-degree qualification or will graduate in 2021 (second class, upper division or equivalent)
- You must be studying or intend on studying at a university in South Africa
- Studying or intend on studying towards Masters and PhD (full-time, part-time or distance learning)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CANON COLLINS SOL PLAATJE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be done online at Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarship Application
Students must download and read the Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarship Guidelines (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document, Birth Certificate, Passport or Driver’s License (certified copy)
- Refugee status, if applicable (certified copy)
- Degree certificates, if available (certified copy)
- Academic transcripts (certified copy)
- PhD proposal, if applicable
- 2 latest payslips, if employed
Shortlisted candidates will also be required to submit the following:
- 2 references, relating to your suitability for the scholarship (1 from your current or most recent academic supervisor AND 1 from your employer if employed or 1 from voluntary work if never been employed, or 2 academic references)
- Supporting statement from your supervisor, if applying for PhD study
CLOSING DATE FOR THE CANON COLLINS SOL PLAATJE SCHOLARSHIP
9 August 2021 at 16:00 (15:00 BST).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Canon Collins directly:
Tel: +44 020 3770 0395
Contact page: https://www.canoncollins.org/contact-us/