Gallagher Foundation Scholarship South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – GALLAGHER FOUNDATION
The Gallagher Foundation was founded in 2001 by Ellen and Jerry Gallagher to provide scholarships to university students in 3 countries, namely South Africa; Mexico and Turkey. The first scholarships awarded by the foundation were in 2002 in South Africa, followed by Mexico in 2004 and Turkey in 2005.
The purpose of the scholarship is to assist young leaders with their studies, who they believe will positively impact their developing country by bringing peace and prosperity.
Students are funded to study at the University of Cape Town in South Africa, at ITESM Monterrey Campus in Mexico and Bogazici University in Turkey.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED, COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
Each year, the Gallagher Foundation award 5 scholarships to deserving students, regardless of race; gender or religion. Scholarships will be awarded for studies within the following fields:
- Political Science
The scholarship will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, books, study supplies, accommodation, meals and transport.
The scholarship application timeline includes the following dates:
Applications close on 31 August 2020, students must have completed their NSFAS application by 31 August 2020 too. Applicants will receive feedback on the status of their application in the next phase of the selection process by 18 September 2020. Between 28 and 30 September 2020, nine final candidates will be interviewed and a final decision will be communicated to applicants by 6 October 2020. Please note that these dates are subject to change based on COVID-19 statistics.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Strong academic record
- Intend on studying within one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Entering your 1st year of study in 2021
- Applied to study at the University of Cape Town and received conditional acceptance
- Achieved high results in all competency areas of the National Benchmark Test
- High level of ethical values (including a commitment to make a difference in the country, opposed to violence, strong leadership potential)
- Strong leadership potential (in any of the following leadership activities: extracurricular activities, awards received, service work, special projects)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be done online at https://app.mykaleidoscope.com/scholarship/southafricaapplication
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- Recent photograph
- Latest high school academic record
- Proof of Conditional Acceptance to study at UCT
- NBT test results
- Recommendation letter (from a teacher, mentor, guidance counsellor, athletic coach or employer)
- Proof of Income (latest payslips/ letter from employer/ pension documents
31 August 2020 (at 23:59).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Gallagher Foundation directly:
Please read the FAQ’s: https://gallagherfoundation.org/faq
Fill out the contact form on their website with your query: https://gallagherfoundation.org/contact