Western Cape Department of Health Bursary South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Western Cape Department of Health, formed in 1994, is responsible for delivering public healthcare and health services to people who reside within the province. They are also in charge of various specialised facilities, which include rehabilitation centres; psychiatric hospitals and tuberculosis hospitals.
The Western Cape currently has 428 public primary care facilities, of which some are operated by the Department of Health and others by the City of Cape Town – these include community health centres and clinics.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Bursaries will be awarded within the Health Science faculty, usually within the following fields of study (however the fields of study may alter annually depending on the Departments skill requirements):
- Emergency Medical Care
- Medical (MBChB)
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary will provide coverage for the following expenses: registration fees, exam fees and tuition.
Students will be required to “work back” the bursary – one year of work for each year of funding received. The Community Service Year will cover the first year of the service contract.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you do not receive any feedback by 31 March at the latest, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Reside within the Western Cape
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Intend on studying full time within one of the aforementioned Health Science fields of study
- Applied OR have been accepted to study at one of the following tertiary institutions: University of Cape Town (Medicine), University of the Western Cape (Bachelor of Nursing Science / Bachelor of Pharmacy), Stellenbosch University (Medicine), Cape Peninsula University of Technology (BTech Nursing Science / Radiography / Emergency Medical Care)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Apply in one of the following ways:
1) Online at: www.westerncape.gov.za/healthbursary
You will be required to Register an account before you can Login and apply.
2) Download and complete the Western Cape Department of Health Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Please note: Medical (MBChB) students must apply via the online method if applying to study outside the Western Cape.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Latest Matric results, if currently in Matric (certified copy of)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy of)
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be awarded a bursary (addressed to the Bursary Committee)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (payslips/ SASSA letter/ tax certificate) (certified copies of)
- Proof of residence (rates/ lease agreement/ account statement/ affidavit)
- Proof of disability, if disabled
Applications must be submitted to your tertiary institutions financial aid office:
- UCT (University of Cape Town)
Student Financial Aid
Wilfred and Jules Kramer Building
Cross Campus Road
(Attn: Mr Z Baker)
- UWC (University of the Western Cape)
Financial Aid Office
Private Bag X17
(Attn: Ms E Seleke)
- Stellenbosch University
Faculty of Health Science
PO BOX 19063
(Attn: Ms R Sylvester)
- CPUT (Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
P.O. BOX 1906
(Attn: Mr C Claasen)
30 September 2020.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Department of Health directly:
Contact Person: Monray Strydom
Tel: 021 483 6610 / 021 483 2515 / 021 483 3738 / 021 483 3465
Fax: 086 609 9893
Email: Health.email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please contact your institutions financial aid department:
- UCT (University of Cape Town), Mr Z Baker, Tel: 021 650 3632
- UWC (University of the Western Cape), Ms E Seleke, Tel: 021 959 9754
- Stellenbosch University, Ms Rochelle Sylvester, Tel: 021 938 9458
- CPUT (Cape Peninsula University of Technology), Mr C Claasen, Tel: 021 959 6253