Umgeni Water Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – UMGENI WATER
Umgeni Water Bursary South Africa | Umgeni Water, established in 1974, is a public state-owned entity that provides water services to water services institutions within its service area. They are KwaZulu-Natal’s biggest supplier of bulk potable water, servicing an area of more than 21 000 sqkm.
The company reports to the Department of Water and Sanitation directly, is headquartered in Pietermaritzburg and is supported by offices in Ulwandle and Izintaba.
Umgeni Water’s assets include 13 dams, 11 water treatment works, 18 small water treatment works, 19 borehole schemes, over 700 km of pipelines and over 60 km of tunnels.
ABOUT THE UMGENI WATER BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Umgeni Water is inviting students to apply for bursary funding, for the 2023 academic year.. Bursaries are available for Bachelor of Science studies, within these fields:
- Biochemistry / Chemistry (BSc)
- Chemical Engineering (BSc)
- Civil Engineering (BSc)
- Computer Science / Data Science/ Cyber Security (BSc)
- Electrical Engineering (BSc)
- Environmental Science / Ecology / Biology (BSc)
- Hydrology (BSc)
- Mechanical Engineering (BSc)
MORE ABOUT THE UMGENI WATER BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE | SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: registration fees, tuition fees, accommodation, meals, prescribed books and stationery.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 4 weeks after the closing date – if you do not receive any feedback by this time, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UMGENI WATER BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying full-time towards a qualification in one of the fields listed above
- You must have completed your 1st year of study
- You must be starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of study in 2022
- You must be studying at a recognized and accredited tertiary institution in South Africa
- You must have a strong academic record, which you have maintained throughout the year
- You must be in financial need and unable to afford your studies
- You must be willing to enter into a bursary contract with Umgeni Water
- Preference will be given to students who permanently reside within KwaZulu-Natal province and students from designated groups
- Female students are encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UMGENI WATER BURSARY
Download and complete the Umgeni Water Bursary Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Most recent academic record/ statement of results (not older than 3 months: certified copy)
- Proof of registration (certified copy)
- Motivational letter to support your application
- Proof of residential address (letter from Traditional Authority Offices if residing in a village, letter from Municipality Office if residing in a Town/ Township / Farm (note that statement of account, e.g. water bill will not be accepted)
- Parents or guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed, affidavit if unemployed, proof of grant if applicable, proof of pension if application, death certificate if deceased)
Applications must be submitted to Ms. Nokuphiwa Mkhize (Skills Development Facilitator), via email: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Umgeni Water Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
Note: applications submitted in person will NOT be accepted – only emailed applications will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UMGENI WATER BURSARY
31 December 2022 (at 16:00).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Umgeni Water directly:
Contact person: Ms. Nokuphiwa Mkhize (Skills Development Facilitator)
Tel: 033 341 1208 / 033 341 1118
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.