UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU-NATAL
UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship South Africa. The University of KwaZulu-Natal was established in 2004 as a merger between the University of Natal and Durban-Westville. The University of KwaZulu-Natal consists of 5 main campuses, namely Edgewood, Howard College, Medical School, Pietermaritzburg, and Westville campus. The University’s campuses hold a number of colleges, specialising in different trades and disciplines.
ABOUT THE UKZN MELLON SPATIAL HUMANITIES SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is inviting students to apply for the Andrew Mellon Masters and Doctoral Scholarship Project in Spatial Humanities.
The scholarship is open to master and Doctoral students at UKZN, interested in working in the emergent interdisciplinary field of Spatial Humanities, within a situated African context. Spatial Humanities makes use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), geospatial technologies and methods within Humanities to explore new questions about the relationship of space and the built environment to human behaviour, history, culture and identity.
The Project combines humanistic and geoscience students and scholars and engages in an interdisciplinary approach. The Project capitalizes on a digital present where the critical use of spatial methodologies, is linked to cultural, artistic, architectural or spatial narratives within 3 sites: uMlazi, Chatsworth and Durban Central.
Scholars will be assigned to 1 of the Broad Research Areas in consultation with Supervisor/s:
- Architectural Vernaculars and Space/Place Making
- Community-Integrated GIS and Spatial Humanities
- Cultural and Digital Mapping: Chatsworth/ uMlazi/ Durban Central
- GIS, Memory and Cultural Mapping
- Language, Beliefs, and Place-Making: Indigenous Understandings of Space/ Place
- Towards an African Spatial Humanities
ABOUT THE UKZN MELLON SPATIAL HUMANITIES SCHOLARSHIP – COVERAGE VALUE
Zabusaries is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship.
The scholarship will be awarded to the value of R100 000 per year for Masters’s studies at R130 000 per year for Doctoral studies. The scholarship will be paid in tranches, and after completing the necessary milestones and satisfactory termly progress reports from supervisors.
Scholarship holders will be required to maintain sustained Academic performance and may be required to submit a Portfolio together with Motivation.
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UKZN MELLON SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a new or first-year MA or PhD student
- You must be registered as a full-time student at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (the scholarship does NOT cover: part-time studies, studies in disciplines other than those mentioned and students who are interested in research topics outside the Spatial Humanities areas)
- You must be willing to be located at the Howard College Campus
- You must be willing to work collaboratively within, under the supervision of supervisors in the Project
- You must be prepared to be assigned specific focused signature masters and doctoral study topics
- You must be prepared to engage in fieldwork linked to one of 3 sites: uMlazi, Chatsworth, Durban Central
- You must NOT be employed full-time
- The following students are encouraged to apply: local Black South African students, female students, students who have completed a Honours or Masters qualification in related disciplines within Humanities and in GIS (History, Sociology, Anthropology, Architecture, isiZulu, Literature, Community Development, Gender, Philosophy, Religion, Performing Arts (Music/ Dance/ Theatre) Arts (Painting/ Photography/ Ceramics/ Film) and Geography, GIS)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UKZN MELLON SCHOLARSHIP
Students who meet all the requirements can apply by submitting clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Certificates of all degrees completed (certified copy)
- Full Academic Record: Undergraduate and Postgraduate
- Motivational letter explaining the following: Why you believe you are a suitable candidate to work in Spatial Humanities (2 pages)
- Concept Note with Bibliography on one of the Research Areas above (2 pages)
- Portfolio: Publications/ Opinion Pieces/ Painting or Ceramic Work/ Photographic/ Film/ Theatre (Optional)
Note: all documents must be combined into 1 single pdf document.
Applications must be submitted via email to Udo Fidelis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “UKZN Mellon Scholarship Application 2022” in the email subject line).
Note: there is no application form to be completed for this bursary application – students need only submit the list of above documents to apply.
CLOSING DATES FOR THE UWC ERIKA THERON SCHOLARSHIP
15 April 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact the University of KwaZulu-Natal directly
COMPUTER SCIENCE | IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION | BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES
UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH AFRICA | UNIVERSITY-SPECIFIC BURSARIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST BURSARY APPLICATION FORMS
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.
What do I need to apply for the NSFAS bursary?
Click Here for All Bursaries and Nsfas Details
How To Reset Your NSFAS Username?
What Does The NSFAS Bursary Cover?
Do You Receive An Email Or SMS If You Have Been Funded By NSFAS?
How To Appeal A NSFAS Rejection?
What You Will Need To Receive Your NSFAS Allowances Via NSFAS Wallet?
NSFAS CLOSING SOON: How to Apply Online
NSFAS Online Bursary Applications 2023 – 2024
How Do You Check If NSFAS Has Funded You?
NSFAS Approves 300 000 Funding Applications
NSFAS Bursaries – Your Questions Answered
NSFAS Bursaries For Students With Disabilities 2023 – 2024