SAAFoST Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SAAFOST
SAAFoST Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship South Africa. The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is the association of food science, technology and other professionals serving South Africa’s food and allied industries. SAAFoST aims at increasing the knowledge base of food science and technology by encouraging scientific research, a membership magazine publication, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, meetings and assisting in educational activities. The company is non-profit and mainly run by volunteers, with around 2000 members across Southern Africa.
SAAFoST have established the SAAFoST Foundation, which will be responsible for the administration of SAAFoST academic bursaries, awards and prizes.
ABOUT THE SAAFOST BRIAN KOEPPEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED
The SAAFoST Foundation is inviting applications for the Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship, for the 2022 academic year. This scholarship was formed in honour of the late Professor B H Koeppen, who was the Head of the Department of Food Science at Stellenbosch University.
This scholarship is available for studies within the Food Science and Food Technology fields, at Masters’s and Doctorate levels. The scholarship will cover study programmes within these departments, at the following institutions:
- Departments of Food Science at these institutions: the University of Stellenbosch, University of Pretoria, University of Venda and University of the Free State
- Departments of Food Technology at these institutions: the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Durban University of Technology, Tshwane University of Technology and University of Johannesburg
ABOUT THE SAAFOST BRIAN KOEPPEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – COVERAGE VALUE
The bursary will be awarded to 2 postgraduate students – 1 for a Master’s degree and 1 for a Doctorate degree, to the value of R35 000 each, per annum, which should be used towards tuition fees.
If candidates are already in receipt of a bursary or other award that covers tuition fees (partial or full), the scholarship award will be used for academic conferences, study materials, study visits and research, if approved by the SAAFoST Foundation.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAAFOST BRIAN KOEPPEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident of South Africa
- You must have been a member of SAAFoST for a minimum of 1 year before applying for the scholarship
- You must be registered at any of the above institutions, for any of the above postgraduate programmes, for a minimum of 1 year before you are nominated for this scholarship
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SAAFOST BRIAN KOEPPEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted by the approved tertiary institutions only (students cannot apply for this scholarship themselves). Department Heads may nominate up to 1 candidate who is registered for one of the above qualifications, for this scholarship.
Please contact your relevant Department Head to request you be nominated for this scholarship.
Nomination forms for the SAAFoST Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship can be found here.
Applications must include clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Proof of SAAFoST membership
- Nominees’ ID document or proof of permanent residence status
- Proof of registration at one of the approved institutions
- Nominees’ complete academic record of a previously completed degree
- Project proposal of research to be undertaken
- Approved progress report of the research work conducted during the 2021 academic year
- Proof of any other bursary or financial support being received
Applications must be submitted via email to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer: email@example.com
(Insert the words “SAAFoST Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship Application” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SAAFOST BRIAN KOEPPEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
18 April 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact SAAFoST directly:
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
Tel: 071 870 2633
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.