SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SAAFOST
SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant South Africa. The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is the association of food science, technology and other professionals serving South Africa’s food and allied industries. SAAFoST aims at increasing the knowledge base of food science and technology by encouraging scientific research, a membership magazine publication, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, meetings and assisting in educational activities. The company is non-profit and mainly run by volunteers, with around 2000 members across Southern Africa.
SAAFoST have established the SAAFoST Foundation, which will be responsible for the administration of SAAFoST academic bursaries, awards and prizes.
ABOUT THE SAAFOST AUBREY PARSONS STUDY GRANT – FIELDS COVERED
The SAAFoST Foundation is inviting applications for the Aubrey Parsons Study Grant, for the 2022 academic year.
This study grant is available for studies within the Food Science and Food Technology fields (BSc Hons or B-Tech). The bursary will cover study programmes within these departments, at the following institutions:
- Departments of Food Science at these institutions: the University of Stellenbosch, University of Pretoria, University of Venda and University of the Free State
- Departments of Food Technology at these institutions: the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Durban University of Technology, Tshwane University of Technology and University of Johannesburg
ABOUT THE SAAFOST AUBREY PARSONS STUDY GRANT – COVERAGE VALUE
The value of the bursary is R20 000 per student – this is the total value of the award, regardless of how long the studies take. Selection will be made based on academic performance.
The SAAFoST Foundation will adjudicate the nominations and will make the final decision in selection. Payment will be made to the institution towards the fees.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAAFOST AUBREY PARSONS STUDY GRANT
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must have been a member of SAAFoST for a minimum of 1 year before applying for the scholarship
- You must be studying full-time, within one of the above departments, at one of the above institutions
- You must be studying towards a BSc (Hons) qualification if studying at a University or BTech qualification if studying at a University of Technology
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must have maintained a minimum overall average of 70% in previous academic years
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SAAFOST AUBREY PARSONS STUDY GRANT
Applications must be submitted by the approved tertiary institutions only (students cannot apply for this scholarship themselves). Department Heads must nominate or recommend candidates who they feel are worthy of the award (based on academic excellence and financial need). Each tertiary institution may only nominate 1 candidate for the award – awards cannot be shared and are not transferable.
Please contact your relevant Department Head to request you be nominated for this scholarship.
Nomination forms for the SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant can be found here.
Applications must include clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Proof of SAAFoST membership
- Proof of registration at one of the approved institutions, for full-time studies
- Nominees’ complete academic record of all previous years
Applications must be submitted via email to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant Application” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SAAFOST AUBREY PARSONS STUDY GRANT
18 April 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact SAAFoST directly:
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
Tel: 071 870 2633
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.