UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships South Africa 2024 – 2025
ABOUT THE COMPANY – UKZN
UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships South Africa 2024 – 2025, On 1 January 2004, the University of KwaZulu-Natal was created owing to the University of Natal and the University of Durban-Westville merging. These two former universities were one of the few institutions to merge in accordance with the higher educational restructuring plans of the South African government at the time.
The vision of the University of KwaZulu-Natal is to be the premier University of African Scholarship and its mission is to be a proudly South African institution that promoted academic excellence and research that is innovative, engaged with society, and entrepreneurial.
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is split up into four main colleges: College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science (AES); College of Law and Management; College of Humanities; and College of Health Sciences.
ABOUT THE UKZN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMMES – FIELDS COVERED
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is inviting students to apply for scholarship funding, for the 2023 academic year.. Scholarships will be awarded for Doctoral Research studies at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, within the following colleges:
- College of Agriculture, Engineering Sciences (AES)
- College of Health Science
- College of Humanities
- College of Law | Management
We are committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the University of KwaZulu-Natal Doctoral Research Scholarship.
MORE ABOUT THE UKZN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMMES – COVERAGE VALUE | SELECTION
Scholarships will be awarded to 4 students – 1 in each of the above colleges. Scholarships will be awarded for 1 academic year at a time and may be renewed for a further 2 years, based on satisfactory progress submitted by the student and the student’s supervisor.
The value of the scholarships is determined each year and will be estimated based on the cost of a year of postgraduate study. The renewable value may vary.
Scholars will be selected based on the quality of the previous academic record, with the most emphasis placed on the most recent (usually master) record. Consideration will also be given to the time taken to complete the master’s qualification.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UKZN SCHOLARSHIPS
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be studying full-time towards a Doctoral qualification, in 2022
- You must be studying at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in one of the colleges stated above
- You must have your research proposals accepted by your relevant College’s Higher Degrees Committee (minuted confirmation must be submitted with your application) (candidates who have NOT yet submitted their doctoral theses for examination are usually NOT considered for the scholarship award)
- You must be ranked within the top 5 per cent in these categories: intellectual strength, research aptitude and purposefulness as motivated by evidence and reasoned argument by Heads/ Leaders
- Candidates who have evidence of publication(s) in the relevant research area will receive preference
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UKZN SCHOLARSHIPS
Download and complete the UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship Application Form 2022 (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Summary of your research proposal (which should address the nature and purpose of the study; research problems to be investigated/ hypotheses to be tested; research design; availability of data and other relevant resources (maximum 3 pages)
- Full Curriculum Vitae (no copies of certificates)
- Full Academic Transcript from all previous tertiary educational institutions you attended
- Reference Letters
Applications must be submitted to the Representative/ Coordinator of your relevant college:
- College of Agriculture, Engineering Sciences: RadebeM3@ukzn.ac.za
- College of Health Science: SitholeA3@ukzn.ac.za
- College of Humanities: email@example.com
- College of Law | Management: Mullerc2@ukzn.ac.za
(Insert the words “UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship Application 2022” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UKZN SCHOLARSHIPS
15 March 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact contact the University of KwaZulu-Natal directly:
Please email the contact of your college, at the email address as stated above.
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.