Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – THE MANDELA RHODES FOUNDATION
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation was founded in 2002 with the goal of developing the leadership capacity in Africa, by way of its programmes, as well as aiming to become the African leader in its intent. The foundations relies of 4 major principles – Education, Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Reconciliation
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship programme, administered by the Mandela Rhodes Foundation, is named after 2 men – Nelson Mandela and Cecil Rhodes. The scholarship comprises of 2 parts – financial funding for postgraduate studies and a leadership development programme.
The funding component is for postgraduate studies at a South African tertiary institution, whereby students will receive full funding (Honours students for a maximum duration of 1 year and Masters students for a maximum duration of 2 years).
The leadership development programme component aims to develop the leadership capacity in Africa, and is made up of 3 components (mentoring, 3 regional group pods and 3 residential workshops).
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION PROCESS
The scholarship provides coverage for the following expenses: registration fees and tuition fees, as well as an allowance for meals, accommodation, study materials, medical aid, personal allowance and an allowance for economy-class travel for international students (from their home to the institution at the start and end of their studies).
The scholarship selection process will include the following steps:
1) Applications will be reviewed by the Mandela Rhodes Foundation and by South African tertiary institutions. Students will receive feedback whether their applications will proceed to the following stage by 30 June 2018.
2) Applications will be reviewed by selected Mandela Rhodes Foundation staff. Students will receive feedback whether their applications will proceed to the following stage by 31 July 2018.
3) Applications will be reviewed again by selected Mandela Rhodes Foundation staff. Students will receive feedback whether their applications will proceed to the following stage by 31 August 2018.
4) Panel interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates and the selection committees during October.
5) Students who attended panel interviews will receive feedback whether their applications have been selected by 31 October 2018.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Citizen of ANY African country
- Will be between 19 to 30 years old when undertaking on scholarship studies
- In possession of a degree qualification (or equivalent) OR will have completed one by 31 January 2019
- Studying or intend on studying full time towards a postgraduate (Honours/ Masters) qualification at a recognised South African tertiary institute
- Good academic record
- Willing and able to attend all leadership development programme compulsory elements (may take place on weekends or during the week)
- Committed to the following principles – Education, Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Reconciliation
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: https://mandela-rhodes.embark.com/apply/2019
You will be required to Register an account before you can Login and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Full tertiary academic record
- Curriculum Vitae (must include: achievements, activities and interests)
- Personal Statement (must include: about your life, reason for applying for the scholarship, dreams and vision for the future)
- Essay (topic can be found on the online application)
15 April 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Mandela Rhodes Foundation directly:
Tel: 021 424 3346