Kumba Iron Ore Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – KUMBA IRON ORE
Kumba Iron Ore Bursary South Africa, South African iron-ore mining company, Kumba Iron Ore, is the biggest iron-ore producer in Africa and the fourth biggest across the globe. The company is a successor of Kumba Resources and was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 2001.
Kumba Iron Ore conducts its mining operations via open-pit (open-cast) methods. The iron ore products are then sold domestically to AMSA, as well as internationally to various countries including Japan, China, South Korea, the Middle East and parts of Europe.
The company is a member of the Anglo American plc group, Anglo American is a 69.7% shareholder, while minorities hold 17.4% and the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) holds 12.9% of shares.
ABOUT THE KUMBA IRON ORE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Kumba Iron Ore is inviting students to apply for comprehensive bursary funding, for the 2023 academic year.
Bursaries will be awarded for studies within the following fields:
- Civil Engineering
- Corporate Affairs (B degree in Social Science or Business Science)
- Data Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mine Surveying
- Mining Engineering
- Occupational Hygiene
- Projects (SIB)
MORE ABOUT THE KUMBA IRON ORE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE, DURATION, OTHER OPPORTUNITIES & SELECTION
The bursary will provide full cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, book fees and accommodation. Students will also have the opportunity to partake in paid vacation work (as part of the Institution’s requirements), which will take place in the Northern Cape.
The duration of the bursary contract will be dependent on the student’s current year of study.
After graduation, bursary recipients may be able to join the company’s graduate programme (depending on available placement and student performance).
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date – if you do not receive any feedback by the end of December 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful. Shortlisted candidates will then be required to take part in assessments and interviews.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE KUMBA IRON ORE BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be currently in Matric or have completed Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying towards an undergraduate qualification in one of the fields listed above
- You must be entering your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of study in 2023
- You must be studying or registered/ provisionally accepted to study at a recognised and accredited University in South Africa
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must be willing and able to complete vacation work in the Northern Cape, during the university holidays
- You must have a valid Code B Driver’s License or obtain it during the bursary period
- You must obtain operational experience in the mining industry during vacation work periods
- Preference will be given to students from the Northern Cape province, local to the mining area communities
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE KUMBA IRON ORE BURSARY
Applications must be submitted online at Kumba Iron Ore Bursary Application 2022/ 2023
Please use the following promotional code when applying/ tracking your application: KIO2023
Enter “Zabusaries.com” in the field asking how you heard about the Kumba Iron Ore bursary.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric’s latest results or certificate (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record, if currently at tertiary level (on letterhead)
- Proof of University registration/ provisional acceptance (on letterhead)
- Drivers License, if applicable (certified copy)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE KUMBA IRON ORE BURSARY
31 August 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Career Wise (the bursary administrators) directly:
Tel: 011 258 4464 / 0860 100 7787
Contact page: https://careerwise.co.za/contact-us/
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.