Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP
Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary South Africa; Jakes Gerwel Fellowship, founded in 2017, is fully funded by the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Endowment and named in honour of Professor Jakes Gerwel, a teacher, educational leader and close confidant of the late Nelson Mandela.
Scholarship beneficiaries commence their studies at the University of Pretoria or the University of Cape Town, towards a Bachelor of Arts, Science or Commerce degree. Apart from full funding, students also have access to personal coaches, mentors and expert teachers. When students have completed their 3-year degree, they qualify as high school teachers through a PGCE and are placed in partner schools.
ABOUT THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY PROGRAMME
Jakes Gerwel Fellowship is inviting students to apply for the Graduate Teaching Fellowship (GTF), for the 2023 academic year.. The fellowship is aimed at Teaching students, entering their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) studies, at these partner universities: the University of the Western Cape, University of Cape Town, University of Pretoria, University of Johannesburg and the University of the Witwatersrand.
The fellowship provides students with access to personal coaches, mentors and expert teachers, as well as elective activities. After completing their PGCE qualification, students qualify as high school teachers, and thereafter they enter a 2-year induction phase where they are placed in partner schools as newly qualified teachers.
Zabusaries is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Bursary.
MORE ABOUT THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY PROGRAMME – WHAT IS COVERED
The GTF is a full university scholarship that provides cover for the following:
- PGCE tuition fees, laptop, residence, printing needs and a monthly stipend.
- An intensive reflective and leadership development program that is aligned with JGF’s pathways to impact as expert teachers, educational leaders, and social entrepreneurs.
- A national Community of Practice, focusing on individual teaching subjects.
- Professional and pedagogical coaching as the individual navigates their first years of teaching.
- A dedicated Teacher Coach for your first 2 years of teaching – the Teacher Coach will offer support and guidance as you learn about your teaching profession and the relevant school culture.
- An opportunity to be mentored by an outstanding teacher identified as a JGF Mentor – they will offer guidance, best practices and social assimilation into the teaching profession and teacher identity.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to meet all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident in South Africa
- You must be under 30 years old or 30 years old at the time of the application closing date
- You must have completed an appropriate undergraduate qualification or be in your final year of undergraduate studies
- You must be in good academic standing
- You must be eligible for PGCE enrollment (MRTEQ does not recognize postgraduate qualifications)
- You must intend on studying towards a PGCE qualification in 2022
- You must have applied to study or be studying at one of these partner universities: UWC, UCT, UP, UJ or WITS
- You must be passionate about teaching and education
- You must intend on becoming a high school teacher
- You must be committed to fully participating in the JGF program
- You must be aligned with JGF’s vision of social change in education in South Africa
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY
Before applying, candidates must complete the Eligibility Quiz – those who pass the quiz will receive further instructions to apply.
If you know of someone who would qualify for this fellowship, you may Nominate them.
If you were nominated by someone else, you will need to complete the Eligibility Quiz above.
Applications are encouraged to download and read the JGF Application Guide (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document OR South African permanent residence (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record (certified copies)
- Proof of application or acceptance to study at one of the partner universities (on institutions letterhead)
IMPORTANT DATES | SELECTION OF JAKES GERWEL FELLOWS
- 25 July 2022: applications close.
- 1 to 31 August 2022: telephonic interviews are conducted.
- 1 to 3 October 2022: selection camp takes place.
- 30 November 2022: fellowships are awarded.
- December 2022 and January 2023: onboarding takes place.
All applicants that pass the initial application stage will be contacted via email or telephone and notified about the telephonic interview. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the Selection Camp. After the Selection Camp, successful candidates will be notified and thereafter, onboarding to the Fellowship will take place.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE JAKES GERWEL FELLOWSHIP BURSARY
31 July 2022 (extension).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship directly:
Contact number: 083 589 2933
COMPUTER SCIENCE | IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION | BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES
UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH AFRICA | UNIVERSITY-SPECIFIC BURSARIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST BURSARY APPLICATION FORMS
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.
What do I need to apply for the NSFAS bursary?
Click Here for All Bursaries and Nsfas Details
How To Reset Your NSFAS Username?
What Does The NSFAS Bursary Cover?
Do You Receive An Email Or SMS If You Have Been Funded By NSFAS?
How To Appeal A NSFAS Rejection?
What You Will Need To Receive Your NSFAS Allowances Via NSFAS Wallet?
NSFAS CLOSING SOON: How to Apply Online
NSFAS Online Bursary Applications 2023 – 2024
How Do You Check If NSFAS Has Funded You?
NSFAS Approves 300 000 Funding Applications
NSFAS Bursaries – Your Questions Answered
Click Here Details On NSFAS, National Student Financial Aid Scheme