HCI (Hosken Consolidated Investments) Foundation Bursary South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – HCI
Hosken Consolidated Investments Limited (HCI) is an investment holdings company, with most of its revenue accumulated from the Casino Gaming and Hotels sector. The black empowered company is also involved in various other investment groups, including property; hotel and leisure; transport; clothing; mining; interactive gaming; media and broadcasting. The companies main shareholder is the Southern African Clothing & Textile Workers Union (SACTWU) Investment Group.
The JSE listed company (listed as “HCI” since 1973) has investment operations located in various countries, including South Africa, the rest of Africa, Australia, United States of America, United Kingdom and China.
HCI’s corporate social investment branch, known as the HCI Foundation, is aimed at uplifting South Africans to create a positive and sustainable impact in underprivileged communities.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE
The HCI Foundation Bursary Programme is aimed at students with strong academic records, who lack the funding to further their studies. Students must be entering their 1st year of study towards an Undergraduate degree qualification (up to Honours level) in any ﬁeld of study OR must be a current HCI Foundation bursary recipient.
The partial bursary will cover up 75% of the tuition fees (to a maximum value of R28 000). There will NOT be an allowance for other study expenses.
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – SERVICE CONTRACT & FINAL DECISION
Bursary recipients are NOT required to pay back/ work back the bursary, however, they are expected to engage in community projects (such as tutoring programmes/ mentoring programmes/ volunteering) and reporting back to HCI.
The final decision will be communicated to the successful bursary recipients by 7 March 2019.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizens OR a refugee/ asylum seekers in South Africa
- 35 years old younger on the closing date (30 September 2018)
- Will be in your first year of full time study in 2019 (NOT part-time or distance learning)
- Will study at a public University or University of Technology in South Africa (NOT an FET College)
- Obtain a minimum average of 55% for Matric or year end results (excluding Life Orientation)
- Gross monthly family income of less than R25 000
- Current HCI Foundation bursary holder also welcome to apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Follow these steps to apply:
1) Register an account: http://bursary.hcifoundation.co.za/BursaryAccount/Register
2) Verify your email address
3) Sign in: http://bursary.hcifoundation.co.za/Services/Account/SignIn
4) Fill in your online application: http://bursary.hcifoundation.co.za/BursaryHome/MyHome/
The online application consists of 4 sections:
- Personal information
- Family information
- Details about the proposed study for 2019
- Parents employment information
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Parents/ guardians proof of family income (payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed/ proof of grant if applicable)
- Proof of grant (if applicable)
- Matric/ final results (due by 23 February 2019) (note this must be sent via email/ fax/ post)
If you are unable to upload your supporting documentation online, you may submit them one of the following ways:
1) Fax: 021 424 6019
Suite 801, The Point
76 Regent Road
30 September 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the HCI Foundation directly:
Tel: 021 424 6010
Fax: 021 424 6019
Read the FAQ’s before contacting the HCI Foundation (http://bursary.hcifoundation.co.za/BursaryHome/FAQ/)