Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship South Africa 2021 – 2022
Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship South Africa; ABOUT THE COMPANY – RHODES UNIVERSITY & GUY BUTLER
Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship South Africa; Rhodes University, founded in 1904, is a public research university located in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. Rhodes University (RU) is a small University, with a little over 8200 students, and is 1 of only 4 universities in the province. The University is well-known for its excellent academic standards – having one of the top undergraduate and postgraduate pass rates in South Africa, as well as the best research output per academic staff member.
Guy Butler (born Frederick Guy Butler in 1918) was a South African poet and playwright, who after studying at the University of Oxford, joined the faculty of Rhodes University and headed the school’s English department from 1953 to 1978.
ABOUT THE GUY BUTLER RESEARCH AWARD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Rhodes University is inviting students to apply for the Guy Butler Research Award, for the 2022 academic year. The award covers full-time postgraduate studies (Honours, Masters or PhD) at Rhodes University, within the Departments of English, English Languages and Linguistics and ISEA. Students pursuing research in any of the following fields may apply:
- English Language
- English Literature
- South African English Drama
- South African Journalism in English
- Cultural studies focusing on English-related topics in Southern Africa
- Research in the area of English bilingualism, as an additional language
ABOUT THE GUY BUTLER RESEARCH AWARD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & RENEWABILITY
The value of the award will depend on the level of study: students pursuing Honours degree studies will receive R80 000, students pursuing Masters degree studies will receive R90 000 and students pursuing Doctoral studies will receive R100 000.
The scholarship will be initially awarded for 1 academic year, and will be renewable based on satisfactory academic performance, for 1 extra year at Masters level and 2 extra years at Doctoral level.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GUY BUTLER RESEARCH AWARD SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must have a strong academic record and have achieved a minimum result of 70%
- You must intend on studying full-time towards a postgraduate degree (Honours, Masters or PhD) at Rhodes University in 2022
- You must intend on pursuing research in one of the fields listed above
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE GUY BUTLER RESEARCH AWARD SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the Guy Butler Research Award Application Form 2022 (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID Document (certified copy)
- Covering motivational letter to support your application
- Masters and PhD students: brief research proposal, which has been discussed with your prospective supervisor at RU
- Full detailed academic Curriculum Vitae (including email addresses of 3 contactable academic referees, who will support your application)
- Full academic transcript to date
- Proof of application for admission and acceptance at RU, or letter of support from the Department
- Students currently employed or currently in receipt of another bursary award: letter of deferment of duty
Note: completed your application form and supporting documents must be compiled in to 1 pdf document.
Applications must be submitted via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Guy Butler Research Award Application” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE GUY BUTLER RESEARCH AWARD SCHOLARSHIP
11 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Rhodes University directly:
Postgraduate Funding office
Tel: 046 603 8755
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.