De Beers Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – DE BEERS
De Beers Bursary South Africa | The story of the De Beers company dates all the way back to 1888 when it was founded by Cecil Rhodes, who received financing from Alfred Beit (a South African diamond magnate) and N M Rothschild | Sons bank in London. However, it is said that the companies history actually dates back to 1866, when the Eureka Diamond wad uncovered. De Beers’ two shareholders include Anglo American (who own 85%) and the Republic of Botswana Government (who own the remaining 15%).
Today, the De Beers Group of Companies specializes in diamonds and is involved in most steps of the diamond pipeline, including diamond mining; diamond exploration; diamond sorting; diamond trading; diamond retail; as well as industrial diamond manufacturing sectors.
The international corporation employs over 20 000 staff and operates in 35 countries, with mining taking place in South Africa; Namibia; Canada and Botswana. The company sells about 35% of the rough diamonds in the world.
ABOUT THE DE BEERS BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
De Beers is inviting students from Blouberg and Musina Municipality to apply for their bursary scheme, for the 2023 academic year. Bursaries will be awarded for studies at the University or University of Technology, within these fields:
- Electrical Engineering
- Human Resources Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mineral Resource Management (Geology, Geotech, Survey)
De Beers will be awarded 7 bursaries – 1 for each field above, except for the Mining field, where 2 bursaries will be awarded.
MORE ABOUT THE DE BEERS BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE | SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for all study-related expenses, including the following: tuition fees, prescribed textbooks, and accommodation. Bursary recipients will also have the opportunity to park in paid vacation work, during university holidays.
Zabusaries.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the De Beers Bursary.
The bursary will be awarded for 1 academic year at a time and is renewable each year based on satisfactory academic performance.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and invited to attend an interview. Should you not receive any feedback, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DE BEERS BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be from the Blouberg or Musina Municipality, in Limpopo province
- You must have completed Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum APS score of 5 for Mathematics in Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum APS score of 5 for Science in Matric
- You must be studying towards a full-time, towards a qualification in one of the fields listed above
- You must have completed your 1st year of study and entering your 2nd year of study
- You must be studying at a recognized and accredited University or University of Technology, in South Africa
- You must NOT be in receipt of any other bursary funding, from another company
- Preference will be given to HDSA students – students from previously disadvantaged backgrounds
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE DE BEERS BURSARY
Students can apply by submitting clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record, including most recent academic results/ transcripts (on institutions letterhead)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of place of birth or proof of residence in Blouberg or Musina Municipality
- A formal letter from the Blouberg Municipality or Musina Municipality or Tribal Council confirming that you are from the local area (on original letterhead and not older than 3 months)
Applications must be submitted in either of the following ways:
– Email to: dve.TSrecruitment@debeersgroup.com
(Insert the words “De Beers Bursary Application 2023” in the email subject line).
– Human Resources Office in Timbila
– Drop off boxes in the community
Note: there is no application form to be completed for this bursary application – students need only submit the list of above documents to apply.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE DE BEERS BURSARY
21 January 2023.
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary program, please the De Beers Group directly:
Human Resources Department
Tel: 015 575 2691
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.