Citrus Academy Bursary South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – CITRUS ACADEMY
The Citrus Academy was established in 2005 and is a non-profit company, founded by the Citrus Growers’ Association (CGA) of Southern Africa as a way to develop human resources within the citrus industry of Southern African. The Academy is responsible for addressing issues and challenges faced by the citrus industry, namely scarce and critical skills; quality of skills delivery; black economic empowerment; employment equity and low production skills levels.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Citrus Academy bursaries will be awarded to those pursuing the following qualifications, from second year of study onwards:
- Plant Pathology
- Plant Production
- Soil Science
- Crop Production
- Agricultural Production Management
- Agricultural Management
- Agricultural Economics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary award will cover the following expenses: tuition fees, prescribed books, stationery, accommodation on campus and research costs (for postgraduate students).
Undergraduate, diploma and certificate students are required to undertake vacation work each year, for a minimum period of 4 weeks.
On completion of their studies, students will be required to take up employment within the citrus industry, for a period of time equal to their bursary award.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – should you not receive any feedback by the middle of December, regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen/ Zimbabwean citizen/ Swaziland citizen
- Completed Matric
- Strong academic record
- Studying towards one of the aforementioned agricultural qualifications
- Studying full time or part time at a recognised South African tertiary institute (University/ University of Technology/ College)<
- Disabled students are welcome to apply
- *Preference will be given to females and previously disadvantaged students
Selection criteria will be based on the following factors:
- Previously disadvantaged status
- Field of study
- Academic record
- Proven financial need
- Background relevant to the citrus industry
- Disability status
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: https://citrusacademy.org.za/bursary-fund/apply-online
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Latest tertiary academic results
- Latest tertiary exam results
- Secondary education results
- Motivational essay explaining the following: why you wish to study further, your background in the citrus industry, how you will give back to the citrus industry and citrus enterprise when you have completed your studies (max 500 words)
- Details of your proposed research project (postgraduate students)
30 September 2019.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Citrus Academy directly:
Contact Person: Londiwe Ngcobo (Bursary Fund Administrative Assistant)
Tel: 031 765 3410