Canyon Coal Bursary South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – CANYON COAL
Canyon Coal Bursary South Africa | Canyon Coal, established in 2006, is a coal exploration and mining group of companies that operates in Gauteng and Mpumalanga and has exploration projects across South Africa. The mining company produces in excess of 2.5 MT coal per annum from its various operations, which include the following: the Hakhano Colliery, the Singani Colliery, the Khanye Colliery and the Phalanndwa Colliery.
Of all the companies current operations, Hakhano Colliery in Mpumalanga is their flagship opencast mine, which produces more than 40 000 tons of ROM each month. The second-largest operation is the Singani Colliery, also in Mpumalanga, which produces around 140 000 ton of ROM each month.
The Phalanndwa Colliery in Mpumalanga produces around 120 000 ton of ROM each month, and lastly, the Khanye Colliery in Gauteng is estimated to produce around 200 000 ton of ROM each month.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
Canyon Coal is inviting students to apply for bursary funding, for the 2022 academic year. Bursaries are available at 2 of the companies operations, namely: Khanye Colliery and Phalanndwa Extension.
Canyon Coal will be awarding bursaries for studies within the following fields:
- Electrical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
MORE ABOUT THE CANYON COAL BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: full tuition fees, accommodation and a book allowance.
Canyon Coal bursaries are awarded based on academic merit.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you have not received any correspondence within 30 days after the application deadline, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CANYON COAL BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be currently in Matric or have completed Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying towards a qualification in one of the fields above, in 2022
- You must be studying or provisionally accepted to study at a university in South Africa, in 2022
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 65% for all major subjects, if currently studying
- Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged students residing within the Bronkhorstspruit area (Khanye Colliery Bursary) or the Delmas area (Phalanndwa Extension Bursary)
- Preference will be given to students in financial need
- Preference will be given to students who are studying or have applied to study at a local tertiary institution
- Preference will be given to female students and student with disabilities
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CANYON COAL BURSARY
Download and complete the Canyon Coal Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- June 2021 final examination results (certified copy)
- December 2021 final examination results, if available (certified copy)
- Tertiary academic records including most recent results (certified copy)
- Proof of registration or application and fee statement (certified copy)
- Parents, guardians or spouse (breadwinners) ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents, guardians or spouse (breadwinners) proof of income (latest payslip or letter from company stating income if employed, balance sheet if self-employed, affidavit if unemployed, proof of pension if applicable – see page 8 of the application form for more details) (certified copies)
- Motivational letter to support your application (to be completed on the application form)
Note: final selection will be based on 2021 final end-of-year results, which should be submitted to Canyon Coal within 20 days of receiving them.
Applications must be submitted via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Canyon Coal Bursary Application 2022” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE CANYON COAL BURSARY
14 January 2022 (at 17:00)
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Canyon Coal directly:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.