UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER – UC BERKELEY | MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship | The University of California, Berkeley is part of a partnership of universities offering Master’s Degree and Undergraduate Degree programmes. Berkeley was first founded in 1868 and to date is one of the world’s leading academic institutions.
The Centre for African Studies and the Mastercard Foundation have joined forces in a 10-year partnership to offer many deserving candidates the opportunity to pursue their studies through the Berkeley MasterCard Foundation Scholarship. Annually, the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme at UC Berkeley supports about 28 Master’s students with a new group of about 20 entries each year and hopes to continue this until 2028.
Since 2012, the scholarship programme has graduated over 130 scholars from 24 different African countries. Of these students, the alumni consist of 71 candidates with Bachelor’s degrees, and 60 with master’s.
ABOUT THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) is inviting students to apply for the Berkeley MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, for the 2023 academic year..
Scholarships will be awarded to Sub-Sharan African students, for Master’s Degree studies at UC Berkeley (in the USA), towards the following qualifications:
- Architecture (M.Arch)
- Art (MFA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- City | Regional Planning (MCP)
- Development Practice (MDP)
- Education (MA)
- Energy | Resources (ERG)
- Engineering (M.Eng, MS)
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), various concentrations
- Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering (MS)
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (MS)
- Mechanical Engineering (MS)
- Master of Development Engineering (M.DevEng)
- Master of Design (M.Des)
- Folklore (MA)
- Journalism (MJ)
- Information Management | Systems (MIMS)
- Global Studies (MA)
- Public Health (MPH, MS, MA)
- Community Health Sciences (MPH)
- Health Policy and Management (MPH)
- Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology (MPH)
- Interdisciplinary Division (MPH)
- Environmental Health Sciences (MPH, MS)
- Epidemiology (MPH, MS)
- Biostatistics (MPH, MA)
- Environmental Science, Policy, and Management (MF, MS)
- Masters of Forestry (MF)
- Range Management (MS)
- Public Policy (MPP)
- Social Welfare (MSW)
- LL.M. Programs
MORE ABOUT THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
The programme hopes to support 108 students from Sub-Saharan African countries who showcase the strong academic ability and are committed to transforming Africa. Through this scholarship opportunity, the Berkeley Foundation hopes to foster young professionals passionate about issues affecting the community and willing to take advantage of their education to combat this.
The programme hopes to allow scholars to return home after studying and successfully form valuable relationships through internships, academic training, and job placements. Applicants can read more about the UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship here.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a citizen of a Sub-Sharan African country (including Africans who are refugees or displaced within the African continent)
- You must be admitted to a UC Berkeley Master’s programme (apply for admission to UC Berkeley here)
- You must meet the eligibility requirements of your specific course (find the list of UC Berkeley courses here)
- You must demonstrate strong academic ability
- You must have excellent leadership skills (specializing in transformative leadership and ethics)
- You must be from a socio-economically disadvantaged background
- You must be eager and aim to give back to the community, country, and/or continent
- You must engage in out-of-classroom activities such as social/ economic/ political topics that relate to your qualification
- You must be eager to return to your home country once you have completed your studies
- Preference will be given to female applicants, candidates living with disabilities, and refugees/ those who have been displaced
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online by following these steps:
1) Visit the: UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Application Portal
2) Select your relevant field of study
3) Read all the requirements and specifications
4) Click the “Apply” portal at the top right-hand corner of the page
5) Complete the online application process
Enter “Zabusaries.com” in the field asking how you heard about the UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
between 30 November 2022 and 16 January 2023 – depending on the course (find the deadline of your programme here).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE UC BERKELEY MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
Students who have queried regarding the UC Berkeley MasterCard Foundation Scholarship may contact:
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.