Transnet Bursary South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – TRANSNET
Transnet Bursary South Africa | Transnet SOC Ltd was founded in the year 1990 and is the biggest logistical freight company in South Africa. However, the year 1867 was the first time the country identified a need for railway services, upon the uncovering of diamonds in Kimberly.
The company is responsible for transporting tons of goods around South Africa daily, via rail; pipeline and port. The company has headquarters based in the Carlton Centre in Johannesburg and has a staff force of over 49 000 employees. They aim to deliver safe, reliable, cost-effective, efficient and integrated services to promote the economic growth of the country.
Transnet is made up of the following operating divisions: rail engineering (previously known as Transwerk), freight rail (previously known as Spoornet), port terminals (previously known as SAPO), national ports authority (previously known as the NPA) and pipelines (previously known as Petronet).
ABOUT THE TRANSNET BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Transnet is inviting students to apply for bursary funding, for the 2022 academic year. Transnet will be awarding 2 types of bursaries, for the following fields of study:
Specialist Commercial Bursary (Degree or National Diploma):
- Accounting / Finance
- Actuarial Science / Statistics
- Business Information Systems
- Data Science / Computer Science
- Environmental Management
- Human Kinetics & Ergonomics
- Human Resources
- Information Systems / Analytics
- Information Technology / Informatics
- Logistics Management / Transport Management
- Management Accounting
- Property Management / Real Estate / Town Regional Planning
- Safety Management / Risk Management
- Security Management / Policing
- Social Work / Industrial & Organizational Psychology / Psychological Counselling
- Supply Chain Management
Engineering Bursary (B.Eng. or B.Sc.):
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (heavy current)
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
These bursaries are available as part of Transnet’s pipeline development strategy, for fields that help address the companies skills needs.
If you are a current full-time student or are in Grade 12 and are intended to study full-time next year, you have strong academic results and would like to become part of the country’s biggest freight company, you may be the perfect bursary candidate. Students must also believe in the future of the company after they have completed their studies.
MORE ABOUT THE TRANSNET BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, textbook allowance, accommodation, meals and experiential training.
Students may be required to do vacation work at Transnet during the June/ July or December/ January holidays. On completion of studies, the successful bursary candidate is required to work at Transnet for the equal duration of the bursary award. The bursary award will only be renewed should the student maintain a satisfactory academic performance.
MORE ABOUT THE TRANSNET BURSARY PROGRAMME – SELECTION
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by no later than 28 February 2022 – if you do not receive any feedback by this date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview (in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban or Bloemfontein), before final selection is made.
Students will also be required to undergo a medical fitness assessment and must provide satisfactory academic results before selection can take place.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE TRANSNET BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have completed Matric or you must be currently in Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying towards a qualification in one of the fields listed above, in 2022 (Degree or National Diploma in Specialist Commercial disciplines / B.Eng. or B.Sc. in Engineering disciplines)
- You must be studying or intend on studying at a recognized tertiary institution in South Africa
- Specialist Commercial Bursary: you must have achieved a minimum APS score of 5 for Mathematics, Physical Science and English in Matric
- Engineering Bursary: you must have achieved a 5 symbol for Mathematics, Physical Science and English in Matric
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE TRANSNET BURSARY
Download and complete the Transnet Bursary Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric the latest results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Full academic record, including most recent results, if currently studying (certified copy)
- Proof of tertiary registration or acceptance (on institutions’ letterhead)
- Shortened Curriculum Vitae
Applications should be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Transnet Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
2) Fax: 086 582 7236
3) Post/ delivery:
Transnet Freight Rail
Capacity Development Department
15 Girton Road
Note: if applying via post, please ensure that you apply well in advance in order that your application is received before the closing date.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE TRANSNET BURSARY
5 November 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Transnet directly:
Department: Bursary Office
Tel: 011 584 1192
Fax: 011 774 9235
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.