TETA Scholarship at WMU South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – TETA & WMU
TETA Scholarship at WMU South Africa; The Transport Education Training Authority (TETA) is one of South Africa’s 21 SETAs which is responsible for assisting in training and skills development within various economic sectors, with a focus on the Transport Sector.
The World Maritime University (WMU) was formed by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and offers unique postgraduate programmes, as well as undertakes wide-ranging research in maritime and ocean-related studies, and continues maritime capacity building in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
ABOUT THE TETA & WMU SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Transport Education and Training Authority (TETA) is inviting candidates to apply for scholarship funding, for the 2022/2023 academic year. The scholarship will cover studies towards an MSc in Maritime Affairs, at the World Maritime University (WMU) in Sweden, Malmo.
The full funded scholarship is open to South Africans employed within the broader maritime sector.
The MSc programme will run for 14 months, starting in September 2022 and ending in November 2023, and will be divided into 3 phases:
- Foundation Studies (this provides a thorough grounding in maritime policy and the IMO system for maritime governance, as well as an introduction to the environmental, economic, and managerial aspects of the ocean. Students will also start preparing for their dissertation in the research methodology subject.)
- Specialization Studies (students will follow 1 of 7 specializations: Maritime Education & Training, Maritime Energy Management, Maritime Law & Policy, Maritime Safety & Environmental Administration, Ocean Sustainability, Governance & Management, Port Management or Shipping Management & Logistics)
- Dissertation (students complete a dissertation based on a certain issue relating to their work in their home country or on a current or emerging maritime issue. Dissertation topics and proposals must be approved by the University and may involve original research or be an analysis of a topic based on secondary sources. Students may complete the dissertation individually, in pairs or in trios.)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE TETA & WMU SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be accepted by WMU
- You must be currently employed
- You must have been with the same employer for a minimum period of 12 months
- You must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the maritime sector in South Africa
- You must have received consent from your current employer that you can partake in the programme and be allowed to return to work after completion of the programme
- Preference will be given: to female candidates and middle managers
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE TETA & WMU SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at WMU Scholarship Application 2022
Applicants can find extra information on the scholarship here.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Completed WMU application for admission (with your Matric certificate attached)
- ID document (certified copy)
- Passport, if available (certified copy)
- Application for a passport, if the passport is not yet available (certified copy)
- TETA Motivational Statement (available here)
- Letter of support from your current employer, confirming that you may partake in the programme and will be allowed to return to work after completing the programme (sabbatical or unpaid leave could be considered)
- Application for Financial Support form completed by your employer (available here – to be emailed to email@example.com)
- Signed Terms and Conditions of the Scholarship (available here)
Note: documents that are not submitted on the WMU online application must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR THE TETA & WMU SCHOLARSHIP
6 May 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Transport Education and Training Authority (TETA) directly:
Contact person: Mr Malcolm Alexander
Tel: 021 819 9606
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.