SANBI Bursary South Africa 2024
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROVIDER – SANBI
SANBI Bursary South Africa 2024 | The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) was first established in 2004 in accordance with the National Environmental Management Biodiversity Act under the South African Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries.
SANBI’s main aim is to conduct research and decimation of information pertaining to biodiversity as well as contribute to the country’s management of biodiversity resources. SANBI is also responsible for partaking in ecosystem rehabilitation and restoration. This ensures that the country’s National Botanical and Zoological gardens enhance the country’s biodiversity for educational and entertainment purposes.
ABOUT THE SANBI BURSARY PROGRAMME
SANBI is inviting students to apply for their bursary programme, for the 2024 academic year.
Bursaries will be awarded for Honours, Masters and Doctoral studies, for projects relevant to SANBI’s mandate and identified as a priority for the SANBI Research Strategy. (Candidates should contact SANBI before applying if they are unsure whether a project qualifies.)
MORE ABOUT THE SANBI BURSARY PROGRAMME – EXPENSES COVERED & SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for university fees and living expenses, to the total values:
- Honours studies: R120 000 for one year only
- Masters studies: R150 000 per year for two years
- Doctoral studies: R180 000 per year for three years
Shortlisted/ successful candidates will be contacted within 30 days of the closing date – if you do not receive any feedback by this date, please consider your application unsuccessful. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this bursary.
Zabusaries.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the SANBI Bursary.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SANBI BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be under 35 years old
- You must intend on studying full-time, towards an Honours, Masters or Doctoral degree in 2024
- You must be studying at your degree level for the first time (i.e. second Honours, Masters or Doctoral degrees will NOT be funded)
- You must intend on pursuing a research project that is in line with SANBI’s mandate and research strategy
- You must intend on studying at any university in South Africa
- You must have completed an Honours degree or Postgraduate Diploma if applying for Masters studies
- You must have confirmed placement in a postgraduate programme and have provisional acceptance from prospective academic supervisors
- You must be unemployed
- You must be pro-active, enthusiastic, and interested in doing excellent research that can make a difference
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SANBI BURSARY
Download and complete the SANBI Bursary Cover Sheet 2024 (.docx)
Enter “Zabusaries.com” in the field asking how you heard about the SANBI bursary.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Completed cover sheet (available above)
- ID document (certified copy)
- Drivers licence (certified copy)
- Academic records (certified copies)
- Highest qualification (certified copy)
- Letter of interest (including why you should be awarded the bursary)
- Project outline (1 page for Honours, 2 pages for Masters and Doctoral)
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- 2 letters of reference (one must be from an academic supervisor) (read how to get a reference letter for your bursary application)
- Letter from a prospective university supervisor as well as a SANBI supervisor, indicating willingness to supervise
- Provisional registration/ application from the university
- The submission of the above documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified.
- Name each document clearly.
- Preferably, combine the cover sheet with the rest of the documents and submit in 1 PDF file.
- The total email size must be less than 10MB.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SANBI BURSARY
18 January 2024.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) directly:
Contact people: Dr Ferozah Conrad (email: email@example.com) / Ms René du Toit (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please do NOT contact Kouga Wind Farm if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here