Poliomyelitis Research Foundation Bursaries South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – PRF
The Poliomyelitis Research Foundation (PRF) was founded in the late 1940s, as a non-governmental organisation to research poliomyelitis (polio) disease. The incorporated association is committed to supporting research initiatives aimed at developing Medical Virology within South Africa.
The Foundation is governed by senior virologists, members of the industrial sector, members of the business sector and Scientific Advisory Panel from university virology heads of departments across South Africa.
Each year the PRF provides funding for deserving students, in the form of bursaries, research grants, travel grants and fellowships. From the years 1977 to 2016, the Foundation has granted over R144 million in research funds, of which over R44 million has been for bursary grants.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The Poliomyelitis Research Foundation is awarding 5 postgraduate bursaries to deserving students, pursuing their studies towards one of the following qualifications:
Masters students will receive 2 years of bursary support, whereas PhD students will receive 3 years of bursary support (unless yours is an exceptional circumstance).
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen OR South African permanent resident
- Studying towards one of the aforementioned postgraduate qualifications
- NOT employed full-time
- Achieved a minimum overall mark of 60%
- *For BScHons, preference will be given to previously disadvantaged students
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the relevant PRF application form:
- PRF BScHons Bursary Application Form(word doc)
- PRF MSc Bursary Application Form (word doc)
- PRF MSc Bursary Application Form (Renewal) (word doc)
- PRF PhD Bursary Application Form (word doc)
- PRF PhD Bursary Application Form (Renewal) (word doc)
You may be requested to submit certain supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Proof of permanent residency if not a South African citizen (certified copy of)
- Full tertiary academic record
- The full scope of your proposed research project
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com
(Insert the words “PRF Bursary Application – BScHons/ MSc/ MSc Renewal/ PhD/ PhD Renewal” in the email subject line).
Each bursary has 2 closing dates each year:
28 February 2021.
15 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the PRF directly:
Poliomyelitis Research Foundation
Contact Person: Mrs Irma Latsky
Tel: 011 555 0395
Scientific Advisory Panel of the PRF
C/O the National Institute for Communicable Diseases
Private Bag X4