Milliman Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – MILLIMAN
Milliman Scholarship South Africa; Milliman is an international actuarial and consulting firm located in Washington, USA. Formed in 1947, the company is independent risk management, benefits and technology firm with offices in major cities around the globe.
Milliman established the Milliman Opportunity Scholarship program with the aim of assisting students from historically underrepresented ethnic groups, to pursue their studies in the fields of actuarial science, data science, computer science, economics, and programming. The Scholarship program is administered by Scholarship America®, the biggest designer and manager of scholarship, tuition assistance, and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations, and individuals within the USA.
ABOUT THE MILLIMAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Milliman is inviting students to apply for their Scholarship programme, for the 2024 academic year.
The scholarship is open to students from South Africa, as well as the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia, for undergraduate studies majoring in any of these fields:
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
The scholarship will cover studies for the 2024 academic year for students from South Africa or Australia and will cover studies for the 2023-2024 academic year for students from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom or Ireland.
MORE ABOUT THE MILLIMAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
Milliman will award scholarships to between 15 and 25 students, to the value of at least USD5 000 (over R90 000) each. Students must reapply for funding each year.
Zabusaries.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Milliman Scholarship.
Applicants should take note of the following selection details:
- All applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship America evaluation team.
- Scholarship America will select finalists based on: candidates’ academic records and responses to 3 essay questions.
- Milliman Inc. will select recipients from the group of finalists. The following may be taken into consideration: demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience, and financial need as stated in the application.
- Preference will be given to previous scholarship recipients.
- Applicants will be notified of their outcome towards the end of June 2023.
- Scholarship America will process payments on behalf of Milliman – payments will be issued to the institution in August 2023. Students outside the United States and Canada will receive funds via wire transfer.
- Scholars and institutions must be eligible to receive funds from the United States per the Office of Foreign Assets Control, United States Department of the Treasury.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MILLIMAN SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must belong to one of these qualified ethnic minority groups:
- South African citizens: must have at least 1 birth parent who is Black or Coloured
- United States and Canada citizens: must have at least 1 birth parent who is of African descent, Latino/ Hispanic, Native North American, or Pacific Islander
- United Kingdom and Ireland citizens: must have at least 1 birth parent who is Black African, Black Caribbean, Irish Traveller or Gypsy
- Australian citizens: must have at least 1 birth parent who is Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- You must reside in and attend a university in one of these countries: South Africa, Australia, the United States, Canada, Ireland or the United Kingdom
- You must be in your final year of high school (Matric or high school senior) OR pursuing undergraduate studies (technical or university-level)
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must be studying or intend on studying at an accredited college or university in one of the countries listed above
- You must intend on pursuing full-time undergraduate studies within one of the fields listed above
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MILLIMAN SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at; Milliman Scholarship Application 2023
Applicants will be required to Create an Account before they can Login and apply.
Enter “Zabusaries.com” in the field asking how you heard about the Milliman Scholarship.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- A current and complete transcript of your grades (displaying your full name, school name, results and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken)
- United States and Canada students: if you submit SAT or ACT test scores, and those scores are not stated on your high school transcript, you will be required to submit a copy of your test score report(s) separately. If you are submitting a college transcript, those scores are not required
- Any other available professional test scores, including but not limited to results from the SOA CAS, ASSA and IFoA
CLOSING DATE FOR THE MILLIMAN SCHOLARSHIP
28 April 2023 at 22:00 SAST (i.e. 15:00 Central Time)
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, or if you need help with your application, please contact Scholarship America (the administrators for this scholarship) directly:
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.