Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme South Africa 2021 – 2022
What is Bursary
A Bursary is A grant, especially one awarded to someone to enable them to study at university or college.
How does it work?
Bursaries vary in amounts and professions and are given to students in order to further their studies. In return for funding your studies, the company may require you to repay them by signing a work contract with them. Another type of bursary is a donor bursary (a bursary awarded to a deserving candidate in a specific field of study or in recognition for his/her work in a specific field of study).
ABOUT THE COMPANY – DEPARTMENT OF BASIC EDUCATION
The Department of Basic Education deals with schools throughout South Africa, from Grade R to 12 and adult literacy programmes. The DBE was formerly part of the National Department of Education before it split into two: the DBE (Department of Basic Education) and DHE (Department of Higher Education)
The department’s goal is to create a sustainable South African education system for the 21st century – one where all learners have access to learning, training and education. Their vision is that the education system will improve the quality of life for all South Africans and create a peaceful, prosperous and democratic country.
ABOUT THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) is inviting students to apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary for the 2022 academic year. There are 66 district-based bursaries available, for Western Cape-based Matriculants who intend on pursuing a formal teaching qualification, specifically the following:
- BEd: Foundation Phase
- BEd: Intermediate Phase
- BEd: Senior Phase
- BEd: Further Education and Training Phase
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme was launched in the year 2007, in order to promote the teaching in public schools for the youth of South African. The programme is run at 3 institutes in the Western Cape: Stellenbosch University, the University of the Western Cape and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
The full-cost bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, textbook allowance, notes and laboratory fees (where applicable), meals, accommodation, a monthly stipend for basic living expenses.
MORE ABOUT THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY PROGRAMME – RENEWABILITY & SERVICE CONTRACT
The Funza Lushaka Bursary will be awarded for 1 academic year at a time and maybe renewed each year based on satisfactory academic performance. Bursary recipients must reapply for funding by the end of October for the following academic year.
Once students have graduated, they will be required to teach at a school located in a rural area – the duration of the teaching position will be equal to the duration of bursary funding received.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be currently in Matric
- You must reside within the Western Cape
- You must have applied to study towards a formal teaching qualification (BEd: Foundation Phase/ BEd: Intermediate Phase/ BEd: Senior Phase/ BEd: Further Education and Training Phase)
- You must have applied to study at one of the following higher education institutions: Stellenbosch University, the University of the Western Cape and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- You must meet the admission requirements of the higher education institution
- You must be willing to teach at schools located in rural areas (taking into consideration the needs of rural education districts)
- You must intend on specialising in any of the following subjects:
- BEd: Foundation Phase: you must specialise in Languages (including English, Afrikaans or Xhosa)
- BEd: Intermediate Phase: you must specialise in Languages, Technology, Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- BEd: Senior Phase: you must specialise in Languages (preferably English), Technology, Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Life Sciences
- BEd: Further Education and Training Phase: you must specialise in Languages (preferably Xhosa), Mathematics, Creative Arts, Agriculture, Civil Technology, Electrical Technology, Engineering Graphics and Design, Mechanical Technology, Computer Applications Technology, Technical Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Technical Sciences
Bursaries will be awarded based on merit, and will be assessed by the WCED’s selection committee, based on the following criteria:
- You must achieve a Bachelor’s degree admission on your Matric certificate
- You must be accepted into an approved BEd degree, to specialise in at least 2 priority areas
- You must achieve a minimum result of 60% for your Home Language and a minimum result of 50% for your First Additional Language in Matric
- You must achieve a minimum result of 50% for your other 4 subjects in Matric
- Students who intend on specialising in the Foundation Phase: you must pass Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy in Matric
- Students who intend on specialising in teaching technical subjects: you must pass Mathematics or Technical Mathematics and Physical Sciences or Technical Sciences in Matric
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY
Applications must be submitted online at Funza Lushaka Bursary Application 2022
Students must also submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation via email to Ms Malorato Mpiti: Malorato.Mpiti@westerncape.gov.za
(Insert the words “Funza Lushaka Bursary – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
The submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Latest Matric results (certified copy)
- Proof of application or acceptance to one of the approved tertiary institutions for 2022 (on institutions letterhead)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY
30 July 2021.
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Department of Basic Education directly:
Contact person: Ms Malorato Mpiti
Tel: 021 467 2155
- Anglo American Coal Bursary
- AFROX Bursary
- BEKA Schréder Bursary
- Dell Young Leaders Bursary Program
- Gibela Bursary
- Petra Diamonds Bursary
- Foschini Group Bursary
- PPC Bursary
- SACCCS Bursary
- SEDISA Trust Bursary
- Standard Bank Learnership
- Full Sail STEM Scholarship
- Full Sail Global Achievement International Scholarship
- Gauteng City-Region Academy Bursary
- Old Mutual Bursaries
- Johannesburg Water Bursary
- FASSET Bursary
- DSV Bursaries
- South 32 Bursary
- Black Mountain Bursary
- FMCSA Ford Bursary
- Hulamin Bursary
- Power Group Bursary
- Deloitte Bursary
- Mpumalanga Attorneys Council Bursary
- GAST Bursary
- KPMG Bursaries
- SizweNtsalubaGobodo Bursary
- EWSETA Bursary
- SAMSA (South African Maritime Safety Authority) Bursary
Please note: any applications submitted after the closing date, will unfortunately not be accepted – please apply on time to avoid disappointment.
If you missed the above deadline, we have other bursaries closing later in the year – find them via the “Bursary News” tab on our website.