Fulbright Foreign Student Program South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – FULBRIGHT
Fulbright Foreign Student Program South Africa. The Fulbright Program is a United States Cultural Exchange Program that aims to improve intercultural relations, cultural diplomacy, and intercultural competence between the citizens of the United States of America and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills.
Founded in 1946, the Fulbright Program is considered one of the most widely recognized and prestigious scholarships in the world. The Fulbright Program selects citizens from across the world, including students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists and artists, to receive scholarships or grants to study, conduct research, teach, or exercise their talents abroad.
ABOUT THE FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program is open for application, for the 2022/2024 academic year (starting in August 2022).
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is open to South African university graduates, to pursue postgraduate studies at a university in the USA, in any subject (excluding MBA and studies that require contact with patients).
These opportunities are available:
- VSR (non-degree): for South African PhD students who are enrolled at a South African University, to conduct 1 years of research at a USA University as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). Current National Research Foundation (NRF) funded PhD students may also apply.
- MA/ PhD: for Postgraduate students to study towards a Master’s or Doctorate degree. Scholarships are awarded for 2 years towards one degree: Master’s or Doctorate.
Zabusaries is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
MORE ABOUT THE FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAMME – SELECTION
Candidates will go through a thorough application and interview process before final selection is made. They will also receive a high level of support, including; visa processing, health insurance, comprehensive pre-departure orientation and re-entry session.
Candidates will be selected based on these main criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study
- Clearly written study objectives
- Interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a genuine interest in learning more about the United States and sharing aspects of South African culture with American citizens
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- Leadership potential
- Desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country after returning
- Reasons for selecting your USA university preferences
Candidates will be expected to thoroughly research each university, to find an institution that fits their academic, personal and professional goals.
Shortlisted/ successful candidates will be contacted within 30 days of the closing date – if you do not receive any feedback by this time, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAMME
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident in South Africa, for a minimum period of 5 years (South African nationals with dual citizenship from the USA may NOT apply)
- You must have completed one of these degrees:
- For PhD research (Visiting Student Researcher): you must be registered to study towards a PhD degree at a university in South Africa, to complete an academic year in the USA to conduct research related to your studies. You must still be registered as a PhD student with a university in South Africa at the time that you will start your research in the USA (August 2022). Current NRF funded PhD students may also apply
- For Master’s degree: you must have completed a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, BTech degree or a 3-year Bachelor’s degree with an Honours degree
- For a Doctorate degree: you must have completed a Master’s degree
- You must be fluent in English
- You must be able to pass standardized tests such as the GRE and TOEFL (semi-finalists will be awarded vouchers to complete these tests when invited to the semi-final round)
- You must be committed to returning to South Africa after completing the program
- You must show academic excellence
- You must show leadership qualities
- You must show a sense of social responsibility and involvement in extra-mural activities
- You must be interested in furthering Fulbright Alumni activities, by giving back to your community/university after returning
- You must understand the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility required to adjust to life as a student in the USA
- Preference will be given to candidates who: have not had recent and extensive experience in the USA, have not received a Fulbright Scholarship in the past
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAMME
Applications must be submitted online at: Fulbright Foreign Student Program Application 2022
Applicants must Register an account before they can Login and apply.
Note: candidates must read the Fulbright Foreign Student Program Guidelines and Instructions (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Study Research Objective
- Personal Statement
- 3 references
- Letter of invitation from potential host – for VSR applicants only (not required, but can be included if available)
- Passport Bio page (or ID document if the passport is not available yet)
- Transcripts, including Grades, certificates and grade explanation sheet
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample (required for PhD and recommended for MA programs)
- Interview Location Page
Note: read about Writing a Research Proposal for Scholarship Application
CLOSING DATE FOR THE FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAMME
1 May 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE PROGRAMME PROVIDER
For any queries related to this programme, please contact the Fulbright Office directly:
COMPUTER SCIENCE | IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION | BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES
UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH AFRICA | UNIVERSITY-SPECIFIC BURSARIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST BURSARY APPLICATION FORMS
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.
What do I need to apply for the NSFAS bursary?
Click Here for All Bursaries and Nsfas Details
How To Reset Your NSFAS Username?
What Does The NSFAS Bursary Cover?
Do You Receive An Email Or SMS If You Have Been Funded By NSFAS?
How To Appeal A NSFAS Rejection?
What You Will Need To Receive Your NSFAS Allowances Via NSFAS Wallet?
NSFAS CLOSING SOON: How to Apply Online
NSFAS Online Bursary Applications 2023 – 2024
How Do You Check If NSFAS Has Funded You?
NSFAS Approves 300 000 Funding Applications
NSFAS Bursaries – Your Questions Answered
NSFAS Bursaries For Students With Disabilities 2023 – 2024