Eskom Bursaries South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – ESKOM
Eskom was established in the year 1923 by the South African government, as the countries Electricity Supply Commission (ESCOM). The South African electricity public utility is now known as Eskom and is the biggest electricity producer in Africa, as well as being in the top 7 global utilities according to generation capacity.
Eskom is responsible for the generation of around 95% of South Africa’s electricity, as well as 45% of Africa’s electricity usage. The company operates operates numerous power stations, including Koeberg nuclear power station and Kendal Power Station, is currently chaired by Hendrik Johannes van der Bijl and is divided into 3 divisions, namely Generation, Transmission and Distribution.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
As a means of broadening the skill pool in the country and empowering young students to reach their career aspirations, Eskom are awarding bursary programmes to students studying within the following fields:
- Engineering: Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Supply Chain
- Engineering: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Safety and Risk
- Boiler Makers
- Fitters & Turners
- Control & Instrumentation
- Power Plant Operators
Eskom are offering 2 types of funding options:
Full Eskom Bursary: for students with a strong academic background – students are required to work for Eskom for the equal duration of the bursary award.
Scholarships: for dependents or children of Eskom employees – students must have a strong academic background and the Eskom employee must have a minimum of 5 years service.
The following expenses are covered:
Full Eskom Bursary: registration and tuition fees, accommodation (or residence), meal costs, prescribed book allowance, PC allowance and a vacation allowance.
Scholarship: registration and tuition fees, accommodation (or residence), meal costs and prescribed book allowance.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- In possession of a valid ID document
- Completed Matric and in possession of a National Senior Certificate (or equivalent)
- Agree to undergo a medical exam/ health declaration and interview
- Accepted for admission at a recognised higher education institution (full time studies)
Applicants must have the following minimum academic results before applying:
- Applicants intending to study at University: minimum HG (C) or “5” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants intending to study at Technikons/ University of Technology: minimum HG (D)/ SG (C) or “4” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants intending to study at Further Education and Training (FET): minimum HG (E)/ SG (D) or “3” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants currently studying at a higher education institution must have passed all registered subjects for the current year of study.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the relevant application form (in full):
Full Eskom Bursary: Eskom Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Scholarship (University students): HJ van der Bijl Application Form (.pdf)
Scholarship (Technikons/ University of Technology students): Straszacker Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Motivational Letter (affidavit to certify content)
- Latest university or school results
- Proof of enrollment/ acceptance at a tertiary study institution
Application packs must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: Mavumen@eskom.co.za
2) Hand deliver (to your closest Eskom office) AND the following address:
3) Post (to your closest Eskom office post box) AND the following post box:
Student Development Department
PO Box 1091
1) Make sure that you submit your application well before the application closing date (as listed below).
2) Shortlisted applied will be required to attend an interview – students will be notified telephonically and via written correspondence.
3) The selection interview process will take place from August to October. Applicants may also be required to undergo a medical declaration or examination.
4) Final selection will occur and awards will be granted based on satisfactory academic results, a successful interview and sufficient medical fitness.
5) Students will be notified of the outcome of their application between October and December.
6) Successful applicants will receive comprehensive documentation regarding the Eskom bursary/ scholarship, as well as a contract and other documentation which must be completed and sent back to Eskom.
31 July 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Eskom directly:
Eskom Bursary Contact Centre
Tel: 011 800 6961