TCTA (Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority) Bursary South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – TCTA
Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority (OR “TCTA” for short), situated in Centurion, is a state-owned entity for bulk water supply development. The company’s goal is to be a market leader for the supply of sustainable water and to facilitate water security (by the means of planning, financing and implementing the process of raw water infrastructure) in their region.
The company was first established in order to become a purpose vehicle to carry out the Lesotho Highlands Water Project. Services carried out by the company include: Project Design, Project Management, Treasury Management, Knowledge Management, Debt Management, Bulk raw water infrastructure implementation, Structuring and raising Project Finance.
Some of TCTA’s flagship projects include: the Lesotho Highlands Water Project; the Metsi Bophelo Borehole Project; the Vaal River Eastern Subsystem; the Olifants River Water Resources Development Project; Berg Water Project in Franschhoek; the Komati Water Scheme Augmentation Project; the Mooi-Mgeni Transfer Scheme; the Mokolo Dam and the Acid Mine Drainage.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
TCTA are offering 10 bursary awards to students from previously disadvantaged background who have shown academic excellence and the desire to succeed in their chosen field.
Bursaries will be awarded for studies within the following fields/ areas:
- Chemical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Civil Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Electrical Engineering (Controls & Instrumentation) (BSc or BEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Environmental Law (BSc)
- Environmental Management (BSc)
- Environmental Science (BSc)
- *and related numerate Degree programmes
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE, OTHER OPPORTUNITIES, RENEWABILITY & SELECTION PROCESS
The following expenses will be covered by the bursary: University registration fees, full tuition fees, prescribed books, accommodation, stationary, meals (in residence) and a monthly allowance for living expenses.
Once students have finished their studies, TCTA will aim to place students in a 2 year internship or learnership programme, within the TCTA community. Placement is dependent on opportunity availability in the company.
TCTA bursaries are awarded for one year at a time and are renewable dependent on students academic performance.
Once your application has been received, it will be screened to ensure that you meet the criteria and that all information required is present.
Shortlisted candidates will then be contacted by TCTA and invited to an interview.
If you have not received any feedback within 30 days of the application deadline, you can regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Under the age of 35 years old
- In possession of a valid South African ID Document
- Currently unemployed
- From a previously disadvantaged background
- Completed Matric
- In possession of a National Senior Certificate (with university entrance pass)
- Must have achieved a minimum of 60% for all subjects in Matric
- Studying (or have been accepted to study) full time at University in one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Current University students must have achieved a minimum of 65% for all main subjects
- Your parents income must not be more than R350 000 per year (before tax)
- Your parents or close relatives must NOT be employed by the TCTA
- NOT have any current bursary or sponsorship awards
Preference/ consideration will be granted based on the following criteria:
- Race (African/ Indian/ Coloured)
- Gender (Female)
- Academic performance
- Students with disabilities
- Students residing in communities in close proximity to TCTA project sites
- The need of funding in regard to your chosen qualification
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- South African ID document (certified copy of)
- Matric National Senior Certificate (certified copy of)
- Latest University academic results, if currently studying at tertiary level (certified copy of)
- Letter of admission/ acceptance from your University
- Motivational letter in support of your bursary application (why you should be selected to receive a bursary)
- Breakdown of study fees from your University including tuition, books and accommodation in residence fees (account statement/ quote/ invoice)
- Parents or guardians ID documents (certified copies of)
- Parents or guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed, affidavit if unemployed, death certificate if deceased, proof of grant if receiving a grant etc)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “TCTA Bursary Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
11 March 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact TCTA directly:
Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority
Contact Person: Nomvula Mhlambi
Tel: 012 683 1258