SAAFoST Bursary South Africa: Matric Students 2024
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROVIDER – SAAFOST
SAAFoST Bursary South Africa: Matric Students 2024 | The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is the association of food science, technology, and other professionals serving South Africa’s food and allied industries. SAAFoST aims to increase the knowledge base of food science and technology by encouraging scientific research, a membership magazine publication, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, and meetings, and assisting in educational activities. The company is non-profit and mainly run by volunteers, with around 2000 members across Southern Africa.
SAAFoST has established the SAAFoST Foundation, which will be responsible for the administration of SAAFoST academic bursaries, awards, and prizes.
ABOUT THE SAAFOST BURSARY PROGRAMMES – FIELDS COVERED
The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is inviting students to apply for their bursary programs, for the 2024 academic year.
Bursaries will be awarded for studies within the Food Science and Technology field. SAAFoST will be awarding 3 types of bursaries:
1) SAAFoST Matriculant Bursary: for students currently in Matric, who intend on studying full time towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field.
2) SAAFoST Undergraduate Bursary: for students pursuing full time studies towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field. (Read more abut the SAAFoST Undergraduate Bursary here).
3) SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary for SAAFoST Members: for SAAFoST paid up full members, studying part time studies towards a BSc Hons or BTech qualification, within the Food Science and Technology field. (Read more abut the SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary here).
MORE ABOUT THE SAAFOST BURSARY PROGRAMMES – SELECTION, COVERAGE VALUE & RENEWAL
The SAAFoST Matriculant Bursary will be awarded based on 3 main criteria: academic merit, employment equity, and demonstrated potential.
The bursary will provide cover for tuition fees only (per the tertiary institutions statement of account), up to a maximum value of R40 000 per annum. The bursary payment will be made directly to the tertiary institution in 2 instalments. The second instalment will be paid on condition that the students first semester results are satisfactory.
The bursary is renewable each year, on condition that the student is able to complete their studies within the prescribed period of time (a maximum of: 4 years for Diploma studies, 4 years for Undergraduate degree studies (up to BSc Hons) and 5 years for BTech Degree studies).
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAAFOST MATRICULANT BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have been a resident within South Africa for a minimum of 3 years before applying
- You must be currently in Matric
- You must be enrolled to study full time towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field, in 2024
- You must be enrolled and accepted to study at a recognised and accredited tertiary institute in South Africa
- You must have completed a Further Education & Training Certificate (FETC) (General) qualification or the equivalent
- You must have achieved a minimum of level 5 (60 to 69%) for Physical Science and Mathematics in Matric (and Life Science is recommended)
- Preference will be given to Matric students with strong academic results or potential
- You must register as a SAAFoST member within the 3 months of registration at your selected tertiary institution, and you must remain an active member of SAAFoST for the entire duration of study (read more about SAAFoST Membership here – applications for students is free)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SAAFOST MATRICULANT BURSARY
Download and complete the application form in one of the following formats:
SAAFoST Bursary Application Form 2024 (Matric Students) (.pdf)
SAAFoST Bursary Application Form 2024 (Matric Students) (.doc)
Enter “Zabusaries.com” in the field asking how you heard about the SAAFoST bursary.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document OR passport (certified copy)
- Passport sized photo (head & shoulders only)
- Grade 11 final results (certified copy)
- Matric latest results (certified copy)
- Personal Statement (outlining the following: how your education and training within the food science and technology sector will make a positive impact in the scientific community and in your own life – maximum 1 A4 page)
- Reference Letter with contact details (written by someone who has known you in a learning capacity for a minimum of 3 years) (read our tips on how to get a reference letter/ testimonial for your bursary application)
Applications must be submitted via email to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “SAAFoST Matric Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
Application details for the SAAFoST Undergraduate Bursary is available here.
Application details for the SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary is available here.
NOTES ABOUT THE SAAFOST MATRICULANT BURSARY
- The bursary will be administered by the SAAFoST Foundation, in liaison with the relevant institutions Student Liaison Representatives.
- The SAAFoST Foundation reserves the right not to award any bursaries.
- Bursary recipients must submit 6 monthly reports and exam results to the SAAFoST Foundation, as well as details of participation in SAAFoST activities.
- SAAFoST bursaries will be converted into a repayable loan if: a semester or year is failed; studies are terminated or interrupted including course changes; and studies are incomplete.
- All applications will be reviewed in November 2024 and successful recipients will be announced in December 2024.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SAAFOST MATRICULANT BURSARY
31 October 2024.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact SAAFoST directly:
Tel: 071 870 2633
Please do NOT contact Kouga Wind Farm if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here