NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Scheme Guidelines
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a public entity reporting to the Department of Higher Education and Training. NSFAS provides financial assistance in the form of a study bursary to qualifying students who wish to study or are already studying at TVET colleges and public universities.
Applicants who are approved for NSFAS funding are covered for the following:
- Accommodation or transport
- Learning material
- Personal care
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE BURSARY?
You qualify for a NSFAS bursary if you are a South African citizen who plans to study in 2023 or you are already studying at a public university or TVET college and you meet the following requirements:
- SASSA grant recipients or
- Your combined household income is not more than R350 000 per year or
- Person with a disability with a combined household income of not more than R600 000 per year or
- Student who begun their university studies before 2018 and their household income is not more than R122 000 per year
WHAT IS REQUIRED DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
NSFAS may need more information from you to process your application, check what supporting documents are required and ensure that you have all the relevant information.
You will need the following to complete your NSFAS application:
- Your own cellphone number and email address
- Copy of your ID or birth certificate
- ID copies of parents, guardian or spouse
- Your proof of income or 1 year’s IRP5 (if applicable)
- Your parents, guardian or spouse’s proof of income
- If you are a SASSA grant recipient, no proof of income will be required
- Applicants with a disability must submit a completed and signed Disability Annexure A Form, click here to download
- An applicant who is recognised as a Vulnerable Child by the Department of Social Development must provide a completed and signed Vulnerable Child Declaration and Consent Form, click here to download.
HOW AND WHERE TO APPLY
You can apply online using a cellphone, tablet or computer. Follow these simple steps to apply:
Step 1: Go to www.nsfas.org.za and click on the ‘myNSFAS’ tab
Step 2: Create a myNSFAS account
Step 3: Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab and answer the questions on the screen
Step 4: Upload the required supporting documents then click on ‘submit’
After you click on ‘submit’, your application reference number will appear on the screen. The reference number will also be sent to the cellphone number and email address you provided.
Statement by Higher Education Science and Innovation Minister Blade Nzimande on the opening of NSFAS 2021 Application.pdf
CONTACT NSFAS VIA THE NSFAS VIRTUAL CONTACT CENTRE
NSFAS Connect: www.nsfas.org.za and log into your myNSFAS account
Facebook: National Student Financial Aid Scheme
Twitter page: @myNSFAS
APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON 30 NOVEMBER 2020, APPLY NOW AND UNLOCK YOUR FUTURE TODAY.
READ ALSO NSFAS Documents | NSFAS Documents Required | NSFAS Documents Needed