Flywire Scholarship South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – FLYWIRE
The Flywire Charitable Foundation aims to increase the accessibility to high-quality healthcare and education. In doing this, they aim to create a society that is inclusive, equitable, as well as a society that allows individuals to gain new experiences across the world, regardless of their background. Flywire’s vision is to create a future where all have equal access to the resources they need to further enhance their outcomes, regardless of their gender, race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Flywire believes that to achieve this, they have to start with closing the affordability gap for many who seek access to high-quality education, healthcare, and other essential life experiences.
Flywire’s vision and mission are made up of 3 main pillars:
1) Equality: They aim to create a society that is inclusive and do this by supporting initiates that reduce social injustices
2) Access: They aim to ensure that all nations in the world and all people have access to the same healthcare, educational, and cultural opportunities
3) Affordability: They aim to reduce the affordability gap that many faces regarding education and healthcare
ABOUT THE FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The Foundation is offering a total of 7 scholarships, valued at $5 000 each, across various themes:
- Social Justice: This is regarding issues such as anti-LGBTQ+ legislation, policing, sexism, religious persecution, sexual violence, and racism. These issues dominated the world news this past year with the need for a significant social justice reform increasing. The purpose of scholarships for Social Justice is to equip future leaders who aim to work towards a society where racism, systemic biases, violence, and other acts of intolerance are abolished.
- Global Health: Owing to the pandemic, many communities around the world are in need of innovative approaches to improve global health and overcome challenges. The purpose of scholarships for Global Heath is to aid candidates who have a drive and commitment to better the health and quality of life of people across the world.
- Global Citizenship: The COVID-19 pandemic has taught humanity the importance of uplifting society whilst also addressing social, environmental, political, and economic issues. Global citizenship focuses on the many challenges we have in our society, from climate change and sustainability to income inequality. The purpose of scholarships for Global Citizenship is to aid individuals who embody and represent what it is to be a global citizen to make a positive impact on all aspects of society, from small communities to countries.
ABOUT THE FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – SELECTION
A selected group of Flywire Charitable Foundation members and global employees will review each application and base their selection on the following criteria:
- Adherence to Prompt: Does the applicant meet all the requirements and address all the questions clearly? Do they demonstrate how their studies and the selected scholarship relate?
- Persistence: Does the applicant give a clear overview of their personality, values, and interest whilst also showing determination and resilience when faced with challenges?
- Leadership: Does the candidate describe their goals (academic, personal, and/or career) and indicate how their educational goals will aid in achieving them?
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying towards an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification
- You must be studying towards any major
- Must NOT be related to Flywire employees (former or existing), officers, or companies that Flywire engages in business with
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at Flywire Scholarship Application Form 2021
Be sure to indicate which scholarship you are applying to (Social Justice, Global Heath, Global Citizenship).
Applicants must submit a comprehensive Essay or Video explaining the following:
- Who you are, what you are studying, and which university you are enrolled at
- What obstacles you have overcome to pursue your studies
- What your hopes and dreams are to achieve with your education, and how it ties in with the theme of the scholarship you have chosen
- All videos should be in an mp4 or MOV format and should be between 1 and 3 minutes long
- All essays should be one page, typed in size 12-point standard font with 1-inch margins, and in PDF format
- All applications must be in English
FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP IMPORTANT NOTES
- Matriculating and currently, enrolled students may also apply
- Students may only apply to 1 of the 3 scholarships
- Flywire reserves the right to review situations and applications they deem unethical
- All winners will be notified on 27 July 2021 via email
- All scholarship funds will be directed to the successful candidate’s institution
CLOSING DATES FOR THE FLYWIRE SCHOLARSHIP
21 June 2021 (at 17:59 PM GMT+2 – South African time zone).
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Flywire directly: