Emalahleni Local Municipality Bursary South Africa 2024
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROVIDER – EMALAHLENI LOCAL MUNICIPALITY
Emalahleni Local Municipality Bursary South Africa 2024 | The Emalahleni Local Municipality consists of the towns of eMalahleni, Ga-Nala, Ogies, and Kwa-Guqa.
The town of eMalahleni, established in 1903, was named after a white rock located near a ridge at a railway station. This ridge was a stopping point for many wagons and transport, as well as a trading post during the time. To date, the town of eMalahleni has several heritage aspects, currently facing potential distraction from new developments.
Similarly, the Emalahleni Local Municipality’s name means “place of coal.”
Emalahleni is the most industrialized municipal area within Nkangala (Mpumalanga), with its landscape consisting of many underground and opencast coal mines. The area also has the largest number of power stations in the country, with its mining and industrial heritage showcased in its various heritage spots.
ABOUT THE EMALAHLENI MUNICIPALITY BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Emalahleni Local Municipality is inviting students to apply for their bursary programme, for the 2024 academic year.
This bursary award is offered by the Office of the Executive Mayor, to students reside within the Emalahleni Local Municipality (Mpumalanga), for undergraduate studies within the following fields:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Management
- Disaster Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Water and Sanitation
MORE ABOUT THE EMALAHLENI MUNICIPALITY BURSARY PROGRAMME
Successful applicants will be required to enter an agreement with Emalahleni Local Municipality.
The Municipality is not obligated to award the bursary to any applicant.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard a response within 30 days of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EMALAHLENI MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old
- You must reside within the Emalahleni Local Municipality, in Mpumalanga province
- You must be from a previously disadvantaged background
- You must be currently in Matric (in 2023) or have completed Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying toward an undergraduate qualification, within one of the fields of study listed above, in 2024
- You must be studying or have been accepted/ provisionally accepted to study at an accredited public Institution of Higher learning in South Africa (University or TVET College)
- You must be in financial need
- Students living with disabilities are encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE EMALAHLENI MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
Students who meet the above criteria can apply by submitting clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric latest results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric statement of results/ certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Full academic record, if already studying (certified copy)
- Proof of provisional acceptance into a tertiary institution
- Achievements or merit certificates (certified copy)
- Proof of residence
- Parents or guardians’ proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed/ proof of SASSA grant if applicable) (certified copies)
- Motivational letter stating why you deserve the Bursary award
Note: there is no application form to be completed for this bursary application – students need only submit the list of above documents to apply.
Applications must be submitted to the Youth Development Unit:
Emalahleni Local Municipality
Civic Centre, 2nd Floor (Youth Development Unit)
Corner Mandela and Street
Note: applications submitted via email or fax will NOT be accepted.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE EMALAHLENI MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
4 January 2024.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact the Emalahleni Local Municipality directly:
Contact people: Mr R T Nkosi / Ms I T Kabini
Tel: 013 690 6411