Sanlam Bursary South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SANLAM
Sanlam was founded in 1918 originally as a life insurance company, but over the years the company has evolved to become a diversified financial services business with a local and international footprint. The group provides individual and institutional clients with financial solutions across all market segments, through its business clusters, namely Sanlam Investments; Sanlam Emerging Markets; Sanlam Corporate; Sanlam Personal Finance and Santam.
Sanlam currently employs approximately 18 000 staff members, services over 10 million clients and is listed on the JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) as well as on the NSE (Namibian Stock Exchange).
The group operates throughout Africa (including South Africa; Swaziland; Zambia; Botswana; Namibia; Nigeria; Tanzania; Mozambique; Uganda; Kenya; Malawi; Ghana and Rwanda), as well as in the United Kingdom, Malaysia, India, with additional business interests in Australia, the USA and Philippines.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
Sanlam is offering bursary awards to Actuarial Science students Those who have achieved excellent results for Mathematics, have good problem-solving skills and can maintain discipline and focus should apply.
The Sanlam bursary will cover the following study expenses: tuition fees, actuarial board exam fees, accommodation fees, book allowance, travel allowance and pocket money.
Apart from financial aid, students will also receive the following:
- Vacation work
- Opportunities to network with Sanlam staff members
- Academic support and mentoring from actuarial professionals at Sanlam
- Rotational work opportunities across various disciplines
- A guaranteed employment position once graduated
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Currently in Matric OR have completed Matric
- Enrolled and been accepted to study Actuarial Science in the upcoming year
- Achieved a minimum of 90% for Mathematics (for Matric and Grade 11)
- Achieved a minimum “A” overall average (for Matric and Grade 11)
- Strong mathematical skills
- *Preference will be given to students from designated groups (African/ Indian/ Coloured)
Students must also possess the following personal attributes:
- Good communication skills
- Have strong analytical abilities
- Adaptable to various situations
- Able to function independently
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good attention to detail
- Have order and accuracy
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Students who meet the above eligibility criteria must apply by submitting clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Grade 11-year results
- Latest Matric results, if currently in Matric
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational letter (explaining the following in your own words: What does an Actuary do. Why you wish to study Actuarial Science. Why do you deserve to be awarded the bursary? Do you have the skills and will to become an Actuary? If you do not become an Actuary, what career will you pursue.)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to actuarialBursaries@sanlam.co.za
(Insert the words “Sanlam Bursary Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
31 October 2020 (extension from 30 June 2020).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Sanlam directly:
Sanlam Head Office
Tel: 021 947 9111