Lonmin Bursary South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – LONMIN
Lonmin plc was founded and incorporated in 1909, in the United Kingdom, as London and Rhodesian Mining and Land Company Limited. Lonmin produces Platinum Group Metals, which are essential in numerous industrial applications, including in jewellery; as an investment and in internal combustion engine emissions.
The London Stock Exchange-listed company was previously the mining division of Lonrho plc and consists of 11 inclines and located in South Africa’s Bushveld Igneous Complex. Lonmin plc currently has 3 major operations – Marikana based in the North West Province which accounts for 95% of the companies output; Akanani and Pandora. The company also has international exploration operations in Ontario, Canada.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Lonmin bursary scheme was initiated to try to assist students in attaining mining/ mining-related qualifications at the university level and thereby increasing skills within the mining sector.
The bursary will be awarded within the following fields of study:
- Chemical Engineering (reference: 9541)
- Electrical Engineering (High Voltage) (reference: 9543)
- Industrial Engineering (reference: 9544)
- IT Engineering (reference: 9545)
- Mechanical Engineering (reference: 9542)
- Mining Engineering (reference: 9554)
- Mine Survey (reference: 9546)
- Metallurgy (reference: 9540)
- Geology (reference: 9552)
- Analytical Chemistry (reference: 9539)
- Human Resources (reference: 9553)
- Pharmacy (reference: 9548)
- Medical Doctor (reference: 9547)
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – OTHER OPPORTUNITIES & SELECTION PROCESS
Students will be required to take part in 8 weeks of vacation work at Lonmin each year, to allow students to gain practical working experience.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted soon after the application deadline. If you have not received any feedback from Lonmin within 30 days of the application closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
Pharmacy & Medical Doctor students:
- Completed Matric
- Studying full time towards a Pharmacy or Medical Doctor qualification (in 3rd year of study or above)
- Studying at a recognised University or the University of Technology in South Africa
- Achieved a minimum overall average of 60% for your most recent tertiary results
ALL other students:
- Currently in Matric
- Intend on studying full time within one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Intend on studying at a recognised University or the University of Technology in South Africa
- Achieved a minimum of 60% for Mathematics and Science in your most recent Matric results
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at https://lonmin.pnet.co.za/index.php
Select the “Job Opportunities” or “Job Search” tab to find the latest bursary listings.
You will be required to register an account before you can log in and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Grade 11 final results AND Matric latest results, if currently in Matric (certified copies)
- Matric certificate, if completed in Matric (certified copy)
- Latest tertiary exam results/ academic record/ transcript, if at tertiary level (on tertiary letterhead)
- Proof of tertiary registration (on tertiary letterhead)
- Curriculum Vitae
21 June 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Lonmin Careers Portal support team directly:
Tel: 010 140 3099
For queries relating to the application process, please read the Lonmin Application Process (.pdf)