Canon Collins Trust Joel Joffe Scholarship South Africa 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – JOFFE CHARITABLE TRUST
Joel Joffe was the lawyer who defended Nelson Mandela in the 1963/ 1964 Rivonia Trial, playing a major role in the countries struggle for democracy. The scholarship was started in memory of Joel Joffe, by the Joffe Charitable Trust.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The Joel Joffe Scholarship is applicable to 3rd year LLB undergraduate students, pursuing their studies at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare.
Once students have graduated, they will take part in a paid internship position at Equal Education Law Centre or Legal Resources Centre. Students will also have the opportunity to increase their academic and leadership skills via organised events.
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – SELECTION
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview (from 28 October at the University of Fort Hare and from 4 November at the University of the Western Cape). The final outcome will be announced in November 2019.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Reside within South Africa
- Studying towards an undergraduate Law qualification
- Currently in your 3rd year (going into 4th year) of full-time or part-time study (distance learning will also be considered)
- Studying at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare
- Strong academic record
- Involved in extra-curricular activities
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the relevant application form:
Canon Collins Scholarship Application Form – University of Fort Hare (.pdf)
Canon Collins Scholarship Application Form – University of the Western Cape (.pdf)
Applicants should also download and read the Canon Collins Joel Joffe Scholarship Guidelines (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation on your application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document/ birth certificate/ drivers license (certified copy)
- Latest academic transcripts (certified copy)
- Degree certificates, if available (certified copy)
- 2 x reference letters relating to your scholarship application (academic or professional, it must outline your strengths, your ability to study towards the above qualification, and your future potential impact)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Application Joel Joffe scholarship: Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
15 September 2019.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Canon Collins directly:
Tel: +44 020 3770 0395
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com