Yale Young Global Scholars
The Yale Young Global Scholars Program for Outstanding High School Students offers two innovative, intensive, summer educational experiences.
Politics, Law, and Economics Program (PLE)
- Focus on the great ideas and thinkers in the American intellectual tradition, covering political philosophy, democracy, constitutional law, political economy, and financial literacy.
- Key deliberative exercises may include writing and presenting a political campaign speech, publicly defending a legal opinion, and engaging in a Constitutional Convention simulation.
Studies in Grand Strategy Program (GS)
- Focus on strategic lessons from history and their application to contemporary international affairs
- Key deliberative exercises may include participating in an international crisis simulation and negotiation, and writing and presenting a group policy paper on a critical global challenge
Common to Both Experiences
Both are official Yale programs directly administered by Yale officials and feature Yale faculty. Additionally, students in both programs:
- Interact with renowned professors, top practitioners, and outstanding Yale undergraduate and graduate students. The student to faculty ratio is 6:1, which means you get a lot of personal attention.
- Learn how to think critically, speak powerfully, and write persuasively, based on personal feedback and coaching from the faculty. The pace is intense, with a great deal of work, which is designed to appeal to high school students who crave a challenge.
- Customize the program for your interests: core classes and lectures are mandatory, but you will also choose from about 40 specialized seminars, based on your interests.
- Live in a Yale Residential College, eat at Yale’s dining halls, use Yale’s libraries, access Yale’s online resources, and use Yale’s athletic facilities, all while under 24-hour professional, adult supervision.
- Meet and make friends with outstanding high school students from across the United States and around the world. Last year almost 30% of students were from 25 countries, including China, South Korea, India, Pakistan, Angola, Morocco, Nepal, Russia, and Tanzania.
Yale Young Global Scholars – Application and Investment
- Must be entering your junior or senior year of high school (or equivalent for international students).
- The application consists of a high school transcript, two teacher recommendations, and a 1,000-word essay. For non-native English speakers, spoken and written English must be nearly fluent.
- The all-inclusive cost of $4,500 includes tuition, housing, food, and activities. Bring your own laptop. Travel to and from Yale is not included.
- Generous financial aid is available to American and international students, based on demonstrated financial need (no merit scholarships).
- The program fills up every year, and it is highly selective. Applications are processed on a rolling basis. Applicants interested in financial aid should apply as soon as possible.
Read Also: Bursaries Open All Year Round