University of Johannesburg (UJ) Merit Bursary 2022 – 2023
About University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is one of the largest contact universities in South Africa (SA) with student population of more than 50 000, comprising of over 3000 international students from 80 countries. UJ has 8 Faculties namely Education, Law, Humanities, Fine Arts, Design and Architecture, Health Sciences, Science and Engineering and the Built Environment.
The university also has the newly established Johannesburg Business School from its College of Business and Economics. It has also four campuses which are the Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus, the Auckland Park Kingsway Campus, the Doornfontein Campus and the Soweto Campus.
UJ Merit Bursaries
The UJ Merit Bursary is awarded academically qualified students intending to pursue postgraduate studies for Master’s or Doctoral degrees at the University of Johannesburg or other accredited South African universities.
The bursary amount is awarded every year for a maximum of two years which still depends on the availability of funds and the student’s academic results.
Second-year students will be provided with financial support for only one year. Bursary value is based on the student’s previous academic performance as well as the pursued postgraduate degree.
For Master’s degree, an amount of R7,130 is given to students who have an average mark of 70-74% in their Honours / BTech / final year of a four-year degree and an amount of R10,970 is given to students who have a minimum average mark of 75%.
For the Doctoral degree, an amount of R10,970 is awarded to students with an average mark of 70-74% in their Master’s degree and R16,460 is awarded to students with a minimum average mark of 75%.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Registered students at the University of Johannesburg or other accredited South African universities
- Minimum average mark of 70% in Honours / BTech / final year of a four-year degree for Master’s Merit Bursary
- Minimum average mark of 70% in Master’s degree for Doctoral Merit Bursary
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the UJ Merit bursary application form.
- Students from another institution, other than UJ must accompany their application forms with a certified copy of their official academic record/transcripts.
- Send your completed application forms to the following drop off points:
- APB Campus at Room A Red 30
- APK Campus at Room E Ring
- DFC Campus at Admin Building Reception
- Soweto Campus at Admin Block Room
Active and updated contact information must be provided. Applicants will be notified via email/SMS of their application results, whether successful or not.
1st Semester: 16 April
1st Semester: 15 August
Tel: 011 559 7098 / 011 559 7099
Read Also: Bursaries Open All Year Round