Stellenbosch University Lisa Maskell Scholarship South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY & GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is one of ten faculties at Stellenbosch University, which offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in Arts (Drama; Music and Visual Arts), Languages (African Languages; Afrikaans and Dutch; Ancient Studies; English; General Linguistics and Modern Foreign Languages), and Social Sciences (Geography and Environmental Studies; History; Information Science; Journalism; Philosophy; Political Science; Psychology; Social Work; and Sociology and Social Anthropology).
The Gerda Henkel Foundation was established by Lisa Maskell in memory of her mother Gerda Henkel. The Foundation was formed as a private, non-profit grant-making organization in 1976, with the goal of promoting the study of science at universities and research institutes, by supporting projects within the humanities field. Since 2014, the Foundation has been providing scholars from Africa and Southeast Asia, with support to continue studies within humanities.
ABOUT THE SU GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Graduate School of the Arts and Social Science Faculty at Stellenbosch University, partnered with the Gerda Henkel Foundation, is inviting students to apply for a scholarship for the 2022 academic year.
The Lisa Maskell / PANGeA Scholarship is for PhD studies, for research projects in the Historical Humanities, at the Stellenbosch University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The scholarship does NOT cover Honours programmes or coursework MA programmes with a thesis component of fewer than 180 credits.
Students can read about the:
- Stellenbosch University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences here.
- Find more postgraduate bursaries here.
MORE ABOUT THE SU GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE
The scholarships will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, an allowance, research activities including writing retreat, conference attendance and publication expenses.
The value of the scholarship is a maximum of R420 000, over 3 years.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SU GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must reside within a sub-Saharan African country
- You must be 35 years or younger when applying
- You must have completed a full MA research thesis
- You must intend on studying full-time towards a PhD qualification, with research projects in the Historical Humanities, in 2022
- You must intend on studying at Stellenbosch University, in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- You must be able to start your studies in February 2022
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 70% in your final year of the most recent degree you have completed
- Preference will be given to students from PANGeA partner institutions
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SU GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the Stellenbosch University Gerda Henkel Foundation – Lisa Maskell Scholarship Application Form (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document, if a South African citizen (certified copy)
- Passport, if an international student (certified copy)
- Full academic transcript/ record
- MA degree certificate or foreign equivalent (certified copy)
- If the certificate is not available but you have completed the qualification: official proof from your institution that your degree will be delivered before March 2022
- Motivational letter to support your application (maximum 600 words)
- Pre-proposal or research idea explaining your proposed research question and conceptualization on one of the three project themes (more details can be found on the application form) (maximum 500 words)
- Sample of your writing: MA thesis for PhD applicants, any published academic articles related to your application
Applications must be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “Lisa Maskell Scholarship Application” in the email subject line).
APPLICATION NOTES FOR THE SU GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Please take notes of these points when applying:
- The application form is in an editable word document – students must complete the form on a laptop or desktop and thereafter save it as a pdf.
- The application form must be completed in English only.
- Applicants must have preferably been in contact with the Department in the Faculty of Arts and Socials Sciences (recommended but not a strict requirement).
- Applicants must inform themselves regarding the availability of suitable supervisors in their field of research, within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences before applying.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE GERDA HENKEL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
1 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Stellenbosch University directly:
Graduate School in the Arts and Social Science Faculty
Contact person: Dr Candice Steele