Stellenbosch University Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Scholarships South Africa 2021 – 2022
Stellenbosch University Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Scholarships South Africa
ABOUT THE COMPANY – STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY & ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is one of ten faculties at Stellenbosch University, which offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in Arts (Drama; Music and Visual Arts), Languages (African Languages; Afrikaans and Dutch; Ancient Studies; English; General Linguistics and Modern Foreign Languages), and Social Sciences (Geography and Environmental Studies; History; Information Science; Journalism; Philosophy; Political Science; Psychology; Social Work; and Sociology and Social Anthropology).
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation was formed in 1969 when 2 foundations, namely: the Avalon Foundation and the Old Dominion Foundation consolidated. The Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation and is the biggest supporter of the arts and humanities in the USA. The Foundation awards grants and funding in 4 main program areas: Higher Learning; Arts and Culture; Public Knowledge; and Humanities in Place.
ABOUT THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Graduate School of the Arts and Social Science Faculty at Stellenbosch University, partnered with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is inviting students to apply for a scholarship for the 2022 academic year.
The MA & PhD “Turning the tide” scholarship is for Masters (100% research) or PhD studies, in ANY disciplines with the Stellenbosch University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, however, research topics must be within one of the following themes:
- African Cultural Studies
- Gender, identity and/or Queer Studies
- The Anthropocene and Ecocriticism
The scholarship does NOT cover Honours programmes or coursework MA programmes with a thesis component of fewer than 180 credits.
Students can read about the:
- Stellenbosch University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences here.
- Programmes are available within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences here.
- Find more postgraduate bursaries here.
MORE ABOUT THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE
Both scholarships will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, an allowance, research activities including writing retreat, conference attendance and publication expenses.
The value of the scholarship will depend on the level of study:
PhD students will receive a maximum of R400 000, over 3 years.
MA students will receive a maximum of R105 000, over 18 months to 2 years.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or an international student
- You must intend on studying at Stellenbosch University, in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in 2022
- You must be able to start your studies in February 2022
- You must be undertaking research undertaken in one of the areas listed above
- You must have a strong academic record (above average results)
- You must NOT be in receipt of another full scholarship for the same course/ programme
- Master’s scholarship applicants: you must be 30 years or younger when applying
- Master’s scholarship applicants: you must have achieved a minimum result of 75% for Honours (if your results are available)
- PhD scholarship applicants: you must be 35 years or younger when applying
- PhD scholarship applicants: you must have achieved a minimum result of 75% (first-class distinction) for the final year of your most recent completed degree
- PhD scholarship applicants: you must have completed a full MA research thesis
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the Stellenbosch University Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Scholarship Application Form (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document, if a South African citizen (certified copy)
- Passport, if an international student (certified copy)
- Full academic transcript/ record
- Honours or MA degree certificate or foreign equivalent (certified copy)
- If the certificate is not available but you have completed the qualification: official proof from your institution that your degree will be delivered before March 2022
- Motivational letter to support your application (maximum 600 words)
- Pre-proposal or research idea explaining your proposed research question and conceptualization on one of the three project themes (more details can be found on the application form) (maximum 500 words)
- Sample of your writing: MA thesis for PhD applicants, Honours research essay for MA applicants, any published academic articles related to your application
Applications must be submitted via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Scholarship Application” in the email subject line).
APPLICATION NOTES FOR THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Please take notes of these points when applying:
- The application form is in an editable word document – students must complete the form on a laptop or desktop and thereafter save it as a pdf.
- The application form must be completed in English only.
- Applicants must have preferably been in contact with the Department in the Faculty of Arts and Socials Sciences (recommended but not a strict requirement).
- Applicants must inform themselves regarding the availability of suitable supervisors in their field of research, within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences before applying.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SU ANDREW W. MELLON FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
1 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Stellenbosch University directly:
Graduate School in the Arts and Social Science Faculty
Contact person: Dr Candice Steele