SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary 2021 – 2022
SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary
The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) is inviting interested SAAFoST paid-up full members to apply for bursaries for part-time studies in the field of (BSc Hon) Food Science and (BTech) Technology. SAAFoST FOUNDATION is offering bursaries for part-time food science and technology graduates, awarded on the basis of academic merit.
The selection of candidates is based on the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to Members who excel academically and/or demonstrate potential.
- Applicants must be enrolled for Part-time BSc Hon or BTech in the field of Food Science and Technology at a South African Tertiary Institution, and complete his / her chosen study programme within the following period:
BSc Hon – 2 years
BTech – 2 years
- Applicants must be South African or permanent resident citizens who have been residents in South Africa for at least 3 years prior to application.
- Applicants must have been a member of SAAFoST for at least 12 months preceding the application.
- Applicants will be required to provide a written personal statement of not more than 1 A4 page outlining how their education and training in the field of food science and technology will make a positive difference in their lives and in the scientific community.
- Applications will be reviewed by the SAAFoST Foundation, whose decision is final and binding.
The bursary includes financial assistance for the following:
- Actual Tuition levied by the tertiary institution as per the statement of account issued by the institution in the name of the Member up to a maximum of R35 000.00 or pro-rata over the 2 years for BSc Hon & or BTech. The payment is made directly to the Tertiary Institution yearly in two instalments – the second instalment is approved subject to the results of the first semester.
- The Member will be required to sign a contract as an acceptance of and agreement to the conditions outlined below:
- Granting of bursaries is not automatic and SAAFoST Foundation reserves the right not to award a bursary.
- Only Members who apply within the specified date and have fully completed the required application forms and whose registrations have been accepted by a university will be considered.
- The student will be required to provide the SAAFoST Foundation with a six-monthly report and exam results outlining the highlights of the year’s study including participation in SAAFoST activities.
- The bursary will be converted into a loan repayable in equal instalments, as determined by SAAFoST Foundation, at the prime rate of interest if:
- The Member terminates his / her studies, without formal permission for the interruption of studies
- The Member does not complete his / her studies within the period stated above
- The Member fails any year or semester of study.
- Should the recipient not successfully complete all of the stipulated courses in any bursary year or not successfully complete any outstanding subjects as supplementary examinations prior to the commencement of the following academic year, then the bursary will be suspended for the following year with the proviso that, should the recipient successfully complete all of the courses in that subsequent year including any carried over courses from the previous year, then SAAFoST Foundation will refund to the recipient, all suspended tuition fees and the bursary shall then continue as before.
Ensure that you provide the following with your completed application form:
- A Head and Shoulder passport size photograph of yourself
- A Certified copy of your ID book/card or SA Passport
- A Certified copy of your most recent academic results and a copy of BSc or Nat Dip.
- Personal Statement
- Proof of registration at Tertiary Institution for 2022
Completed applications must be e-mailed to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer and a hardcopy of the application must also be mailed to the address below:
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
PO Box 35233
Tel: 071 870 2633