SAAFoST Bursary (for Undergraduate Students) South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SAAFOST
The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is the association of food science, technology and other professionals serving South Africa’s food and allied industries. SAAFoST aims at increasing the knowledge base of food science and technology by encouraging scientific research, a membership magazine publication, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, meetings and assisting in educational activities. The company is non-profit and mainly run by volunteers, with around 2000 members across Southern Africa.
SAAFoST have established the SAAFoST Foundation, which will be responsible for the administration of SAAFoST academic bursaries, awards and prizes.
ABOUT THE SAAFOST BURSARY PROGRAMMES – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation are inviting students to apply for bursaries, within the Food Science and Technology field of study. Bursaries are awarded based on 3 major factors – academic merit demonstrated potential and employment equity.
SAAFoST will be awarding 3 types of bursaries for the 2022 academic year:
1) SAAFoST Matriculant Bursary: covers students currently in Matric, who intend on studying full time towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field. The bursary will provide cover for tuition fees up to a maximum of R35 000 per year. Payments will be made in 2 instalments, to the tertiary institution where the recipient is undertaking studies. Find more information here.
2) SAAFoST Undergraduate Bursary: covers students pursuing full-time studies towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field. The bursary will provide cover for tuition fees up to a maximum of R35 000 per year, until graduation. Payments will be made in 2 instalments, to the tertiary institution where the recipient is undertaking studies.
3) SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary for SAAFoST Members: covers SAAFoST paid-up full members, studying part-time studies towards a BSc Hons or BTech qualification, within the Food Science and Technology field. The bursary will provide cover for tuition fees up to a maximum of R35 000 (or pro-rata) over 2 years. Payments will be made in 2 instalments, to the tertiary institution where the recipient is undertaking studies. Find more information here.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAAFOST UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have been a resident within South Africa for a minimum of 3 years before applying
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying full time towards a first undergraduate Degree or Diploma within the Food Science and Technology field
- You must be entering your 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of study in 2022
- You must be studying at a recognised tertiary institute in South Africa
- You must have been a SAAFoST member for a minimum of 12 months before applying for this bursary
- Preference will be given to undergraduate students with strong academic results or potential
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SAAFOST UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY
Download and complete the application form in one of the following formats:
SAAFoST Bursary Application Form (Undergraduate Students) (.pdf)
SAAFoST Bursary Application Form (Undergraduate Students) (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document OR passport (certified copy)
- Passport-sized photo (head & shoulders only)
- Full academic record to date, including latest academic results
- Personal Statement (outlining the following: how your education and training within the food science and technology sector will make a positive impact in the scientific community and in your own life: max 1 A4 page)
- Reference Letter with contact details (written by someone who has known you in a learning capacity for a minimum of 1 year)
- Proof of registration at your tertiary institute, for the 2021 academic year
Applications must be submitted via email to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer: email@example.com
(Insert the words “SAAFoST Undergraduate Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
Application details for the SAAFoST Matriculant Bursary are available here.
Application details for the SAAFoST Part-Time Bursary are available here.
NOTES ABOUT THE SAAFOST UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY
- Bursaries will be awarded for 1 academic year at a time and funding will be awarded for subsequent years, only if they are able to finish their qualification within the allocated amount of time.
- Students pursuing an Undergraduate Degree up to B.Sc (Hons), must complete their studies within a maximum timeframe of 4 years.
- Students pursuing Bachelors Degrees must complete their studies within a maximum timeframe of 4 years.
- Students pursuing a Higher Diploma or B Degree must complete their studies within a maximum timeframe of 3 years.
- The bursary will be administered by the SAAFoST Foundation, in liaison with the relevant institution’s Student Liaison Representatives.
- The SAAFoST Foundation reserves the right not to award any bursaries.
- Bursary recipients must submit 6 monthly reports and exam results to the SAAFoST Foundation, as well as details of participation in SAAFoST activities.
- SAAFoST bursaries will be converted into a repayable loan if a semester or year is failed; studies are terminated or interrupted including course changes, and studies are incomplete.
- All applications will be reviewed in February 2022 and successful recipients will be announced in March 2022.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SAAFOST UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY
31 January 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact SAAFoST directly:
Tel: 071 870 2633