Epilepsy South Africa Educational Trust Bursary 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – EPILEPSY SOUTH AFRICA
Epilepsy South Africa, established in 1967 when it was known as the South African National Epilepsy League (SANEL), is a non-profit organisation and sole national organisation within the country which provides comprehensive and specialised services to those affected by epilepsy and other disabilities.
The organisation is dedicated to improving the lives of our target group, as well as to South Africans with intellectual disabilities, hydrocephalus and speech impairments. Epilepsy SA has a National Office located in Cape Town, as well as 6 other regional branches across the rest of the country.
The mission of the organisation is to promote human rights and society for those living with disabilities, particularly people with epilepsy.
ABOUT THE EPILEPSY SOUTH AFRICA BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE & SELECTION
The Epilepsy South Africa Educational Trust is inviting students with epilepsy, to apply for bursary funding for the 2022 academic year. Bursaries will be awarded for ANY field of study, at the tertiary level.
Partial bursaries will be awarded to assist with tuition fees only (accommodation and other expenses will not be covered).
The bursary will be awarded for 1 academic year at a time, thus students must reapply for funding each year. Bursaries may be withdrawn if students do not maintain a satisfactory academic record or they do not withhold the bursary agreement.
Bursaries are awarded in December each year for the following academic year.
NOTES ABOUT THE EPILEPSY SOUTH AFRICA BURSARY PROGRAMME
- The bursary will be paid directly into your student account at your institution and will be paid in 2 tranches. Bursary recipients are required to inform the Trust if they receive another bursary award.
- Bursary recipients are required to attend the Annual General Meeting of the National Office or a Branch.
- After graduation and once bursary beneficiaries have found employment, they will be required to regularly financially support the Trust, in order to ensure sustainability and funding for future students.
- Bursary recipients will be required to volunteer within Epilepsy South Africa, to gain knowledge of issues related to the condition – this will take place over various programmes and in various locations.
- Bursary recipients will have the opportunity to make use of all Epilepsy South Africa services, including: social development, advocacy and human rights, economic development and skills development.
- The Trust will allow beneficiaries to contribute to Epinews (a newsletter created by people with epilepsy, for people with epilepsy), as well as workshops, creating awareness, educational talks and being role models to others with epilepsy.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EPILEPSY SOUTH AFRICA BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have epilepsy
- You must be a member of Epilepsy South Africa (at Branch level or national level)
- You must have completed Matric OR be currently in Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying at a university in South Africa, within any field of study
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the Epilepsy SA Educational Trust Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric mid-year exam results (if currently in Matric) (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (if completed Matric) (certified copy)
- Latest exam results (certified copy)
- Certificates (certified copies)
- Proof of acceptance at a tertiary institution OR proof of application and explanation of why you have not received proof of acceptance
- Latest payslip
- Proof of family income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)
- Proof of epilepsy (certified copy of doctor or clinic letter)
- Proof of Epilepsy SA membership
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Epilepsy South Africa Educational Trust
PostNet Suite #131
Private Bag X 3
31 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Epilepsy South Africa directly:
Tel: 021 556 3753 / 021 903 1479