South African Mathematics and Science Teacher Intern Programme (SAMSTIP) Bursary 2019 – 2020
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SAMSTIP
The Southern African Mathematics and Science Teacher Intern Programme (SAMSTIP) aims to get to the root cause of skills shortage within South Africa, which is a lack of quality mathematics and science teachers. The programme focuses on quality education provided by ISASA member schools to produce mathematics and science teachers, by increasing the number of school-leavers from disadvantaged communities to pass mathematics.
ISASA is a non-profit organisation and is Southern Africa’s biggest, oldest and most inclusive independent (private) schools association. The organisation serves more than 800 schools in South Africa; Namibia; Botswana; Zambia; Lesotho; Swaziland; Angola and Mozambique, who in turn educate over 180 000 pupils.
ISASA represent a range of educational levels, religious affiliations, socio-economic and cultural communities. The organisation aims to create an environment whereby quality education is available to all students across southern Africa.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
SAMSTIP in partnership with the Department of Basic Education and Investec are providing teacher intern bursary awards to prospective Senior and Further Education and Training (FET) teachers, who will specialise in the fields of Mathematics and Sciences.
- 4 year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) qualification
- 1 year postgraduate (PGCE) qualification
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE
Over and above the bursary award, students will be given the following opportunities: training at ISASA member schools, provided with teaching and learning resources and technology, mentorship from qualified school teachers, academic enrichment programme.
Please read the SAMSTIP Bursary FAQ (.pdf) before applying.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Between the ages of 18 and 26 years old
- Completed Matric with a Bachelor pass
- Studying towards one of the aforementioned education qualifications
- Studying through UNISA
- Achieved a minimum result of 60% for Mathematics, English and Science (Life Science or Physical Science)
- Current tertiary students: have credits for Mathematics and Science (Life Science or Physical Science)
- Graduate students: have majors in Mathematics and/or Science
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: http://www.mathsenglish.org/intern-applications/
You may be required to submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Latest tertiary record, if currently at tertiary level (certified copy)
- Motivational letter
15 May 2019.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact ISASA directly:
Contact Person: Slindile Shelembe
Tel: 011 648 1331