SACTWU Bursary Scheme South Africa 2019
SACTWU manages South Africa ‘s biggest trade union bursary fund. The scheme offers members and their dependents financial support to study at universities, technikons and certain other higher education institutions. The fund was started in 1975 with a small solidarity contribution by trade union members to help support each other to meet the education expenditure of their children.
Today the fund is made up of contributions from workers and companies and through funds generated by SACTWU’s investment company. Since the beginning, millions of rands have been paid out in bursaries to thousands of young South Africans whose parents work in the clothing, textile, leather and related industries.
The Bursary Scheme has the following features:
- All bursaries are non-repayable.
- SACTWU members, their husbands or wives, their children and legally adopted children, as well as staff members can apply for a bursary.
- The bursary is paid directly to the university, technikon or college.
- The educational institution must be registered with the National Department of Education.
- The bursary does not cover 100% of the fees. For universities, it pays 75% of fees up to a maximum of R35 000 per annum. The student must pay the remaining percentage of the fees.
- Applications deadline is end February each year for first and full year courses and 2nd week of August for second semester courses.
Click the following Links to download the Rules and Application Forms
Bursary 2019 Rules
Bursary 2019 Main Application
Bursary 2019 Students Union Application Form
Bursary 2019 Students Union Confirmation Form
Bursary 2019 Special Schools Application Form
Bursary 2019 Pamphlet
You can view a list of all the registered private institutions by clicking on the following link:
If you have any questions regarding bursary applications, you can contact
Sactwu Bursary Department
PO Box, 18359, Dalbridge, 4014
Tel: (031) 301-1351
Fax: (031) 305-1039