Readers Unite Bursary South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – READERS UNITE TRUST
The Readers Unite Trust was founded by Ruda Landman, famously known for being a co-anchor on the M-Net television show, Carte Blanche, from 1988 to 2006. Ruda studied at Stellenbosch University in the Western Cape before starting her career in journalism, and has since worked in television; radio; magazines and newspapers.
Readers Unite was established with the aim of helping students who would otherwise not be able to afford to fund their tertiary studies. Applicants are selected from disadvantaged backgrounds, who show strong academic potential and who want to create a career path in South Africa.
The Trust’s partners and donors include: Study Trust; Lumico; Altron and Yellowwood.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME
The Readers Unite Trust bursary programme, administered by Study Trust, is available to students pursuing their studies at university level (in any field of study).
During and after completing their studies, bursary recipients are required to:
- Always work hard and give their best
- Act as mentors for the following group of students (where applicable)
- Contribute to the trust fund when they start working, for the minimum duration as that of bursary funding received (at the same rate as the book club members)
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric
- Studying at a recognised South African university
- Proven financial need
- Excellent academic record
- *Preference will be given to students who are nominated by a book club and that meet the above criteria
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: http://www.studietrust.co.za
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric results certificate (certified copy)
- Latest tertiary academic results (certified copy)
- Parent/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)
30 September annually.
(Applications open on 1 April each year.)
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Study Trust directly:
Contact People: Mr Themba Mdluli (Applications Officer) / Mr Sibusiso Lukhele (Bursary Administration & Support)
Tel: 011 403 1632
Fax: 086 560 5604